Sold cull cows last week

Help Support CattleToday:

WFfarm

Reaction score
Sent two cull cows last week to the local sale barn. They were in decent body shape, black and BWF. Averaged 1200 lbs and $.45/lb. Should have ground them for burger, but had no freezer space. :(

Our pound cow mrkt has been hot. Sent 6 to the barn last wk. They were all smooth. All brought .65 and up. With one three year old bringing .79. Our local sale barn had not sold a fat for 3 weeks.

We had one week when the price hovered around 50 cents. It is back up to around 64. Of course I sold on the low week. I have a friend who sold on the high week. He had 5 cows all over 70 with the top being 77. He also sold a ton bull for $1.18 that week.

I'd say the cull cow plants that are open and running full speed are making a killing right now. Probably trying to push as much product through as possible.

My guess is that (at least according to their mrkt report) our local barn has been selling about half the pound cows that they normally do each week. Cow plants are still processing, and there is a demand for hamburger.

Dave said:
We had one week when the price hovered around 50 cents. It is back up to around 64. Of course I sold on the low week. I have a friend who sold on the high week. He had 5 cows all over 70 with the top being 77. He also sold a ton bull for $1.18 that week.

You must have the same luck we do. We sold a couple 500lb left over fall feeders last month. The sale the 2 weeks before was $.15-.20 higher and the sale 2 weeks after was $.10-.15 higher than the sale we sent to. It's like a crap shoot when to send them.

I sold some cows that went #1300 a couple weeks ago and got around .70 but they only had like 800 hd at the sale, total. Had a small heifer I decided not to keep so I hauled her last week. Over 1500 hd came to town and I got 1.00/ lb. The market was crap from what I heard from other people also. I could tell when I was in line people were cleaning house. Lots of odds and ends in the trailers.

We are still not out of the clear from a drought. We need more rain this month or it could get real nasty.

Here is the market report from Crockett, TX on Tuesday:

https://easttexaslivestock.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Doc-Apr-28-2020-5-58-PM.pdf

Brute 23 said:
I sold some cows that went #1300 a couple weeks ago and got around .70 but they only had like 800 hd at the sale, total. Had a small heifer I decided not to keep so I hauled her last week. Over 1500 hd came to town and I got 1.00/ lb. The market was crap from what I heard from other people also. I could tell when I was in line people were cleaning house. Lots of odds and ends in the trailers.

We are still not out of the clear from a drought. We need more rain this month or it could get real nasty.

I was noticing yesterday how it's gone from to green to brown in 24 hrs. The ryegrass is maturing that fast with the temps just under 90.

I wasn't truly expecting the inch of rain we got last night. Was going to start cutting a 30 acre pasture for hay this morning for hay to feed back to them in a couple months to keep from having to sell. Probably get on it tomorrow or Friday.

Haha...I'm several weeks behind a lot of folks around here and ahead of my original plans. Really didn't intend to bale much this year.

WFfarm said:
Cutting hay? 2 hours east of us got 6-8 inches of snow on Sunday.

Our weather patterns have shifted also. When I was a kid we got the first cold fronts in Sept. We put fert out end of Feb and could have the first cutting of coastal stacked by now and be working on the second. The second would be stacked before it got hot in July. Now we dont see cold fronts until Nov/Dec or later. We get our best cuttings in Sep/Oct.

Latest posts