Sold cows to hobby farmer

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
I delivered 3 pairs to a fella who wanted to get into the cattle business at the age of 55. He had worked on farms and with cattle earlier in his life, and wanted to "tinker" with some cattle again. I sold him some purty good cows, 1 4 year old and 2 5 year olds. All with calves about 4 weeks old.

I arrived at the place he is renting, but I didn't see any fences. So, I obviously became concerned. We unloaded them in a small lot with a shed for the night. There is a corner of the property fenced off, but the fence is not ready yet, as he was going to run hot wire in front of the barbwire. The pasture is in good shape, no weeds and a good mixture of red clover, fescue, orchardgrass. My only concern is, how he is going to transport them from the lot over to the pasture fence. He has no trailer!!

Secondly, this property is right on the edge of an 80,000 population town, and it is in an area called Country Club Village. So, you can genaralize the type of people that live in the neighborhood. These cows are purty gentle, and acted good after we penned them in the lot. But as we all know, IF they were to get out, with all of the people aroun, it could have a recipe for disaster. I hope nothing bad happens with all of the people/cars around. I know I have my money and they are no longer mine, but I would hate to have something bad happen to the cows or they get out and injure someone else.

P.S. This probably wasn't posted on the right board.

bandit80":c3gh9beo said:
I delivered 3 pairs to a fella who wanted to get into the cattle business at the age of 55. He had worked on farms and with cattle earlier in his life, and wanted to "tinker" with some cattle again. I sold him some purty good cows, 1 4 year old and 2 5 year olds. All with calves about 4 weeks old.

I arrived at the place he is renting, but I didn't see any fences. So, I obviously became concerned. We unloaded them in a small lot with a shed for the night. There is a corner of the property fenced off, but the fence is not ready yet, as he was going to run hot wire in front of the barbwire. The pasture is in good shape, no weeds and a good mixture of red clover, fescue, orchardgrass. My only concern is, how he is going to transport them from the lot over to the pasture fence. He has no trailer!!

Secondly, this property is right on the edge of an 80,000 population town, and it is in an area called Country Club Village. So, you can genaralize the type of people that live in the neighborhood. These cows are purty gentle, and acted good after we penned them in the lot. But as we all know, IF they were to get out, with all of the people aroun, it could have a recipe for disaster. I hope nothing bad happens with all of the people/cars around. I know I have my money and they are no longer mine, but I would hate to have something bad happen to the cows or they get out and injure someone else.

not only that but the damage the cattle can do to landscape. they can turn manicured lawn in to a hog pen in short order..with people as sue happy as they are now :(

oh me that guy is going to get a crash course in cattle 101 fast.he should of had all the fences in place.along with lanes an a holding lot.cityslickers are a pain in the backside when it comes to cattle.hope he is a quick learner.

Yeah this guy is in for it. I personally wouldn't have dropped them off after seeing the condition.But you got the money already so I guess you had to go with it. Yeah he needs to get the fences up asap.

texast":3iz8w62d said:
Yeah this guy is in for it. I personally wouldn't have dropped them off after seeing the condition.But you got the money already so I guess you had to go with it. Yeah he needs to get the fences up asap.

I nearly took them back home and said call me when the fences are ready. I took him calm cattle, but still. The heck of it is, we arranged this sale the last week in March. At that time the cows hadn't calved yet, and I told him it would be better if the calves were at least couple weeks old prior to hauling. Talked to him again mid-April, and he said May 1 he should have his fences ready. Guess it wasn't enough time? :?

bandit80":2e0tqs0l said:

What bothers you the most? His lack of fence or his advanced age? :D

spoon":13i7qa7r said:
What bothers you the most? His lack of fence or his advanced age? :D

His age doesn't bother me. Just reckon most people don'e start the cattle business when they are getting close to retirement.

The lack of fence is what concerned me. I hope all goes well for him.