Sold Another Longhorn Bull for Cross-Breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

If you spend$ 1500 on a longhorn bull today you should be able to pick from most of them however a $2000 angus bull and you get a black one.
Could be the man got a pretty good bull. Longhorn cows sure are efficient
which is something the angus breeders blow about all the time.

I don't understand why you would use any high percentage longhorn cattle. You sacrifice so much performance in the lot and you have calves that will get docked 99 out of 100 times. Come on these cattle bring lower prices for what reason oh yeah BECAUSE THEY'RE LONGHORN, wow what a concept. A private treaty angus bull that costs $1100-$1200 will out perform the longhorn that cost $1500. I can pick this angus bull out of the many that have low birth weight EPDs without sacrificing performance or money which I would do by using a longhorn. I know I sound like Blackpower but somethings just must have to be said... isn't the purpose of crossbreeding in this industry to make extra money why squandal it all away by using a longhorn? and if you want to order that the cows will out last angus or other such breeds make that point but if your keeping a 20 year old cow around and she is still meeting par you must not be doing much to improve your cowherd...
Enough said
Jake

Jake":2vxsht9r said:
I don't understand why you would use any high percentage longhorn cattle. You sacrifice so much performance in the lot and you have calves that will get docked 99 out of 100 times. Come on these cattle bring lower prices for what reason oh yeah BECAUSE THEY'RE LONGHORN, wow what a concept. A private treaty angus bull that costs $1100-$1200 will out perform the longhorn that cost $1500. I can pick this angus bull out of the many that have low birth weight EPDs without sacrificing performance or money which I would do by using a longhorn. I know I sound like Blackpower but somethings just must have to be said... isn't the purpose of crossbreeding in this industry to make extra money why squandal it all away by using a longhorn? and if you want to order that the cows will out last angus or other such breeds make that point but if your keeping a 20 year old cow around and she is still meeting par you must not be doing much to improve your cowherd...
Enough said
Jake
Good points Jake. Hard to believe you are still in high school.
Lots of people much older than you don't understand what quality can do for the future. Another thing, Blackpower is not stupid. Just tells it like it is.

I'm alot more outspoken in person than on the net I think Blackpower and my self are much the same in that aspect. I just can't believe that some people would sacrifice so much for no reason. As for the highschool thing I've been in the truck since I was two weeks old and have studied EPDs, breeds, quality, performance, maternal soundness, grazing situations, and much much more ever since I could read... Thank god I have a good memory for now because I'd hate to have to go back through everything I've read, tryed, and succeeded at.

To Wild Bill...

Shadow "was" a very nice bull.. solid black and tons of horn.. He is no longer on this earth.. so unless they were AI'd.. they would not be bred to him. As to your plan.. LH's are ready for roping at about 6-8 months, rope them until they are too big or horns are too big, team roping and bull dogging after that. I would do that with the bulls/steers. The heifers, I would have them bred at about 18 months. While they are certainly ready for breeding at 13-14 months, I prefer to give them a little more grow time. A Longhorn heifer should have her first calf in her 2nd year. You can retain your heifers for more breeding, pulling them from the recreational events when bred. Your heifers will provide you with new stock. As to your older LH's, once they are too big for anything, you have options. Many make hamburger out of them.. tasty... tasty. If they are younger, some feed them out for beef.. not just hamburger. I they are colorful and/or have nice horns, there is a market for skulls, head mounts, hides, etc. Also.. with the proper disposition (not sure what years of being chased by horses, etc will do for that) but there is also a good market for "yard ornaments". We define yard ornaments as those steers that are put on a couple of acres to look at. They keep the grass down, require minimal care and there are a lot of people who just like looking at them. As to Bill from Running Arrow's comment on 24" tip-tip minimum by a year.. maybe.. If you consider the tip-tip measurement includes the measurement of the head between the horns, I would think you would rope them a bit longer. But if they are in fact Shadow offspring.. could very well be.. I think his horns were in the upper 80 inches tip to tip when he died .. so they might push those horns out fast!

BOTTOM LINE BOYS, A DEAD CALF AIN'T WORTH A DIME ANYWHERE. Let the longhorn man speak his peace. This is America and each to his own. Granted, I would not use a longhorn, but this man is entitled to his opinion.

1200# at 25 months.. hmmm.. not a big longhorn bull.. as to the 70%, for a LH bull that is not immpressive..

Anonymous":3dzi95t1 said:
Congratulations to you Frankie.

Now some of the Angus people and longhorn haters may go crazy over this but: Consider the POSSIBILITY that Bill's customer just wants to breed his heifers or small cows with the longhorn bull because he wants to get as close to 100% certainty of no delivery problems as he can. And he's obviously not using AI, so use of one of the proven very low birth weight Angus bulls that carries a very high probability percentage is out of the equation. Yeah sure, if he just happens to pick the right young Angus bull for natural service he can get low birth weights. But the young Angus bulls available to him that have real low birth weight EPDs represent a lot more of a crap shoot as to the actual birth weight of their calves than the longhorn does. Those low EPDs are based only on pedigree and have a very low probability or confidence percentage. If the guy wants simplicity and almost virtual certainty of calving ease he goes with the longhorn bull for heifers and maybe even some cows and he makes a conscious decision to get less money per head for the resulting calves, but they'll probably all be alive. That decision is not necessarily the best, or worst, decision but it is one that is made a lot more often than many would imagine. A lot of people are willing to sacrifice some calf sale proceeds with their heifer's first calf crop and that doesn't make them idiots or joke farmers. Personally I think its foolish to be so obsessed with low birth weights that you make so many other factors a lower priority. But each person has to examine his or her program, and what motivates them to be in the cattle business, and decide how to rank all the management issues and then spend their hard earned money accordingly

In no way shape or form do I think this is a bash to Angus. What "Guest" said is true. If he wants as close to 100% calving ease as he can a longhorn will be the way to go. "Guest" didn't say by breeding longhorn he would realize more profit just that Longhorns will have a higher rate of calving ease and I don't think there's anyone on this board that would disagree with that. Yearling bulls are a crapshoot in any breed, i've seen adjustments in bw, ww, yw, and milk change considerabily after progeny are born. In my high intensive management program I think breeding longhorns to my angus heifers is assinine and I would kind of think of them as "tainted" BUT there are many people on this board who don't have a clue what breeding their cattle have and don't WATCH their heifers calve and if they do they don't know what to do with them. For these people I say breed your 600 lb @ calving heifers to a longhorn you are probably money ahead.

Frankie":1clarcx8 said:
Wow, 1200 lbs as a two year old. That's a shame. We have three Angus bulls that we're getting ready to sell. All three of them adjusted to over 1200 lbs as yearlings. One of them was over 1300 lbs. You say you had him "priced at $1500." You didn't say (and it's no one's business) what you actually sold him for.

Frankie,
what do you think is an acceptable weight for a 2yr old bull that will be used for breeding on average. our two 2yr olds last summer weighed in at around 1700 and 1800 lbs....our longhorns arent raised for horn though

running arrow bill forgot to say that the longhorn bull was going to be used on a beefmaster herd, which is having the calving difficulties with their 1,000 lb heifers.

and they were pulling several, besides losing the one. and they have just gotten so sick of pulling, that they finally are going back to something they don't have to worry about.

and bill is working on the weight thing, and the color thing also. cause he is getting in a registered solid black LH bull (out of a 2,000 lb sire). that has already been on a herd of charlois, and his calves were black, not off-colored.

bill is keeping track of weights and trying to learn what is considered to be "normal" for what you guys are looking for. and i have been researching on ebay, just looking at old postcards from the "good ole days" and have been finding out, that the majority of the longhorns in the old days, were solid colors, with few of the party colors in the herd.

so being new to the cattle business in general, barely coming up on three years, i surmised that longhorn breeders got tired of listening to all the "bad" rap their longhorns were getting, and decided to breed the party colors and horns for their own use. and the heck with fighting the misperceptions that surround the longhorn breed.

i have had 3 lifetime veternarians tell me that the "dairy bulls" are way worse than the longhorns for attitudes. but i dont personally know, cause i have only messed with longhorns. and i dont have a problem with what we have, i move them from one end of the property to the other by myself most of the time. (i'm 5"1".)

to me it's amazing that the LH breed has come as far as it has, seeing as how it was a mutt breed to start with, and then had all the "good" heavy weights put to slaughter, and kept the low scubs for breeding in the cattle drive days, and have had to make a come back from the scrawny rack of bones that almost died out from outcrossing as well as being eaten, to 200,000 strong of today. (yes i know, just a drop in the ole bucket, but they are not extinct- is the point.)

the dickenson herd in ohio was brought up. ---they are breeding for a beef type longhorn as well as horn. breeding for a 2,000 lb bull with a minimum of 60" tip to tip. and have finally been doing it long enough to start to have some consistancy with the higher weighs without loosing the low calving weight. the longhorns have a "short" pedigee for consistant weights compared to your "long" pedigrees of commercial breeds. i acknowledge this, and i know that there is more than just one big herd that is addressing this problem. but you know as well as i do, that it takes time to build a "deep" pedigree.

yes, the longhorns are an old mutt breed, that are still valuable today. there are people that are shaping some of the longhorn breed into a better asset for everybody.

like other breeds have been shaped into what they are today, there is room for the oldtimers that love their party colors and long long horns, and room for me who sees that by taking "part" of my herd and breeding for better weights and solid colors, i can offer more than just a yard decoration.

you guys have "forgot" more about cattle than i will ever be able to catch up, but i'm (we) are in there trying. we are just trying a different approach to the similar end goals. we are not trying to change the longhorn into a different breed, but utilizing what is there to a better advantage. just as the other cattle breeds have shaped their herds into what is best for them.

all we are saying, is don't completely count the longhorn out. there are times when outcrossing to one isn't completely madness.

and as for the color black, it is no different than raising white rabbits for commercial butchering, colored rabbits are docked cause they ain't "white". grins same difference? eh?

and who am i? i'm sandy (magpie) , bill's other half. i have been doing the pedigree searches, color searches, weight searches, and keeping track of bill. grins

to me, once the "black" hide comes off, the meat is not that much different. (even tho the longhorn is lower in cholesteral that the lady at the meat counter says she wants")

it's our "perceived" likes and dislikes, as well as market driven, money driven, get docked at the sale barn driven, that drives everybody to pick the critter that they want to mess with.

yes, we are messing with longhorns, -never have followed everybody's else's beaten path, was too busy going cross country with a flashlite seeing why there wasn't a different way to skin that same old cat. grins

sorry i've gotten so long, but i (we) have a lot to learn from all breeds, not just one.

i really enjoyed black power's earlier post. that really made my day, cause i do a drop check on the boards once in a while just to see what bill has stirred up. grins

we enjoy raising cattle, and learning from all of you.

peace,

sandy

Ryan":3g9g1ru1 said:
Frankie":3g9g1ru1 said:
Wow, 1200 lbs as a two year old. That's a shame. We have three Angus bulls that we're getting ready to sell. All three of them adjusted to over 1200 lbs as yearlings. One of them was over 1300 lbs. You say you had him "priced at $1500." You didn't say (and it's no one's business) what you actually sold him for.

Frankie,
what do you think is an acceptable weight for a 2yr old bull that will be used for breeding on average. our two 2yr olds last summer weighed in at around 1700 and 1800 lbs....our longhorns arent raised for horn though

Ryan, I wouldn't try to tell anyone whats an "acceptable" weight for a 2-year old bull. There's too much variation in management, development programs, etc. I'm much more interested in what a yearling bull weighs, since that is an indicator of what his calves will weigh as yearlings. The most expensive portion of a beef animal's life is spent in the feedlot. Those cattle that are ready for slaughter at 12-14 months of age will cost less to finish than if they aren't ready until they're 20-24 months. Plus anything over 24 months old can't be Choice. And Select beef sells at a discount to Choice. I can tell you that we weighed our yearling Longhorn gomer bull alongside our yearling Angus heifers. The heifers averaged 870 lbs. The Longhorn bull weighed 550 lbs. He had been more stressed with dehorning and surgery to turn him into a gomer, but that's still a lot of pounds. One reason we selected Longhorns for gomers is because they generally don't get very big. They do eat, though. I have to laugh at this one, standing sideways along the feed trough trying to keep the heifers away from food. It doesn't work, of course, they either shove push past him or go around to the other side of the trough.

Nobody stopped him from "speaking his peace". No one said that he couldn't have his opinion just that there are better ways of achieving the same goal with out so much sacrifice. Every breed has its place. Long horns are a recreational breed.

ggsimgene":1mqdogn5 said:
BOTTOM LINE BOYS, A DEAD CALF AIN'T WORTH A DIME ANYWHERE. Let the longhorn man speak his peace. This is America and each to his own. Granted, I would not use a longhorn, but this man is entitled to his opinion.

Well said!

dun

Tod Dague":8hdv4vil said:
Nobody stopped him from "speaking his peace". No one said that he couldn't have his opinion just that there are better ways of achieving the same goal with out so much sacrifice. Every breed has its place. Long horns are a recreational breed.

ggsimgene":8hdv4vil said:

dun":1y5rosxz said:
Well said!

dun

Tod Dague":1y5rosxz said:

ggsimgene":1y5rosxz said:

Ditto, etc.! One can take a lot of "Cents off per pound hits" at the Sale Barn when selling Longhorns (if you do that) for the value of one LIVE calf produced from a Longhorn cross!

"A Live & healthy calf on the ground (whatever breed)" is worth a lot more than 2 or 3 dead ones..."

The point is that you don't have to go to extremes to get that live healthy calf. I'm sure Lowline and Dexter breeders think they have the perfect answer to calving problems in standard sized cattle.

dun

Running Arrow Farm":leygvd3v said:
dun":leygvd3v said:
Well said!

dun

Tod Dague":leygvd3v said:

ggsimgene":leygvd3v said:

Ditto, etc.! One can take a lot of "Cents off per pound hits" at the Sale Barn when selling Longhorns (if you do that) for the value of one LIVE calf produced from a Longhorn cross!

"A Live & healthy calf on the ground (whatever breed)" is worth a lot more than 2 or 3 dead ones..."

Magpie/Sandy ---- I enjoyed your delightful post. I've never owned a longhorn and probably never will, but I can see that they do have some positive things to offer to a commercial cattleman and I'm not about to bash your breed or anybody else's. If I got one I reckon it would be more for just wanting a nice looking "ornament" and out of a sense of nostalgia for what the breed meant to so many of my fellow Texans (and Americans) back in the 1800's.

I guess I understand the possible move towards solid colors; no doubt some folks like the solid colors and, for example, Shadow was a darn impressive looking bull. If you could come up with a line of black Longhorns bulls that consistently actually threw solid black calves I imagine you would find a few more buyers wanting to use them with commercial heifers! But strictly speaking for myself, I don't really care for the solids and if I ever got a LH I would sure like to have one of those colored up bulls like Gizmo, JK Creekmore, Overwhelmer, Super Bowl, etc. Best of luck to you and Bill. Arnold Ziffle

Hi Arnold,

Glad to meet you. I have been following the bulls that you have mentioned. Most are from DCCI, and if I am not mistaken, Gizmo, is really a leader at putting beef style calves on the ground. When Bill will let me buy some more semen, I plan on getting some of Gizmo's. grins

The black bull that I had talked about is a son of "Overwhelmer". He gets his black from his dam's side of his pedigree. We have been slowly building a herd with "Overwhelmer's" downline influence. And currently have as our "best" horned springing heifer, a grandaughter of "The Shadow".

We too like the fancy colors, and recognize, that we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket, which is why only part of our herd is solid colors. Have a cow due to drop a calf from "Coal Smoke" this spring. And my other new cow, will hopefully drop a "King" calf, if her A.I. took that is. Both of these cows we just purchased from the "Big Boy of Longhorns", DCCI. And I hope to pester them with more of my endless questions.

As a newbie to the cattle business, I am prone to ask "why not?" instead of just going with tradition. (cross county with a flash lite, grins) And want to benefit others as part of "our" goal. Yes, we are learning by hard knocks too. But because "the world" is changing so fast, hope to find our niche in it. Even tho we are "very very small", we can contribute something beyond our "own noses".

The fun of raising cattle, is if you have a plan, you can breed for what is right for you, no matter what style of "critter" you choose to do that with. And for me, the fun is in "learning" about what makes the cattle tick, and seeing whether or not my plan is working for me.

We are only 110 miles from Amarillo, Tx, and you know how dry it can be here. The reason it costs so much per head for us, is we are doing on a small piece of land. 23 acres. Yes, I am running too many head, 2 cows on this property can be too many. grins But we have a darn good well, for the local area, (nope, not a pivet type), and hope to prevail anyway.

I have so much to learn, I don't care which style of cattleman I get the answer from, as long as the answer is valid.

Peace

magpie

Latest posts