Sold all the cows to buy some longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Well, the title isn't entirely true. This morning I did buy eight longhorn heifers/cows. The oldest is 4 years old, the youngest 12 months. They haven't lifted their heads from the grass since I let them in with the other cows. Pics:

lhorn1.jpg

lhorn2.jpg

lhorn3.jpg

lhorn3n4.jpg

bull doesn't mind the horns:
lhornnbull.jpg

All of the horns are bobbed. The man I bought them from uses longhorn steers to "rodeo" at an arena near his house. He doesn't really need the heifers/cows, and needed some money. I bought all he had, except for two that were too wild for my tastes. No, there not show winners by any means, but my kids love the colors, so there you go.

Ok cypress, you've been off chemo long enough so that shouldn't be much of a problem anymore. Now we are really have us worried. What else are they giving you. :lol:

Buy what makes you happy. As you well know life's short. Good luck with the longhorns.

I thought the value in a Longhorn was in letting those horns grow out so that you can sell her and her calves to somebody who can brag about the horn length. Bobbing their horns ought to decrease their worth somewhat.

Brandonm22":4zqxdhli said:
I thought the value in a Longhorn was in letting those horns grow out so that you can sell her and her calves to somebody who can brag about the horn length. Bobbing their horns ought to decrease their worth somewhat.

Maybe for the purist longhorn breeders Brandon, but these already had their horns bobbed. I got them for $250 each, so I'll cross them with a Charolais I'm looking to buy and sell their calves. Shouldn't take too long to make the $250 back. I kept all of them in a holding area of mine for a little over a week to watch them - that's why I bought 8 instead of 10, two of them were just too wild. Overall they seem quite calm cattle. I really have no interest in horns, as it makes it harder for them to go through my squeeze chute, and makes calves worth less.

Vette, not sure what lasting affects the chemo had :lol2: But, they do add color, that's for sure. Kind of makes the herd a little more interesting to look at. Cheap entertainment I guess.

You better get the Charolais bull quick, because it looks like the black bull has other ideas. :nod:

I've got to admit, I like looking at all different colors. There's a place I pass on my way to work has a field full of the rainbow coalition. Longhorns, Holsteins, Herefords, Pinzgauer, Belteds, blacks and reds and every combination thereof. I think they are owned by a bed and breakfast and are therefore something 'fun' to look at for the 'guests'. A few months out of the year you'll see a really nice black bull out there with them. The resulting calves aren't too shabby.

Katherine

Did you make a deal to sell the first calves back to him? Told you that you could get them cheap enough to make money. 8 Longhorn cows for the price of 2 good black cows. Which will make the most money!
Are you going to break them to ride? :lol2: :lol2:

kenny thomas":91tcl1us said:
Did you make a deal to sell the first calves back to him?
Are you going to break them to ride? :lol2: :lol2:

Yep, any bull calves born from these (not sure of their pregnancy status) go back to him for $200 at weaning. The heifer calves I keep. That is, ofcourse, if they are in calf from his longhorn bulls. He just wants roping prospects. I'll be pulling my black bull out soon, so early next year I'll let the charolais get aquainted with them.

I don't think I'll try breaking these ;-) , but I am thinking seriously about when I'll be able to get back on my Arabians.
Kenny you've got me laughing though. I just watched Blazing Saddles last night (one of my favorites) and love the part when Mongo rides into town on a huge brahman steer.

cypressfarms":1cqa3log said:
Brandonm22":1cqa3log said:

Maybe for the purist longhorn breeders Brandon, but these already had their horns bobbed. I got them for $250 each, so I'll cross them with a Charolais I'm looking to buy and sell their calves. Shouldn't take too long to make the $250 back. I kept all of them in a holding area of mine for a little over a week to watch them - that's why I bought 8 instead of 10, two of them were just too wild. Overall they seem quite calm cattle. I really have no interest in horns, as it makes it harder for them to go through my squeeze chute, and makes calves worth less.

Vette, not sure what lasting affects the chemo had :lol2: But, they do add color, that's for sure. Kind of makes the herd a little more interesting to look at. Cheap entertainment I guess.
Great choice of bulls--- !! :tiphat:

Beefy":361rq7ln said:
i often wonder why there is no shaking head emoticon...

Is this what you are looking for?

no.gif

Re: cows -- The price was certainly right
happy.gif

You'll get your money back. I like the one whose horn point down. The Charlois should put the meat on the calves.

Congrats on your LH purchase. We've been able to make money on them b/c they're so dang cheap. Solid black steers (we breed to angus bull) go to sale barn and do okay. Loud color steers go in the freezer. We keep any good heifers. They'll eat back weeds and vines much more willingly than the 'beef' cows, too. Still wish I could see some of those LHxChar calves!

next thing you'll know they'll be goats running all over the place.

that first longhorn is pretty. the one with the funny horns looks like a beefmaster cow i have in the face.

Latest posts