Sold a whopping 4 head of feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Feeder prices are up, but not up as much as our inputs.

Local sales barn scheduled a two day bred cow sale to kick off the season. Never been done here before. Sounds like a number of producers limped through the summer drought but can not afford hay.

In the end it is a gross margin thing.

So are April futures.
April futures were high. You could have contracted cattle with Tyson for $1.41/lb delivered in April. 8wt yrling strs were bringing right at $1,400/hd until that high contract went away.
Cattle feeders always seem to be able to buy themselves right out of the profit.

I cannot feed out my spring born steers. Through the winter, all my lots are utilized for different sex/age groups. I take my profit after I precondition them - get rid of them!! ALL my males are gone during October. Fall finished, feeders, bulls, show steers. Males are my cash flow I can depend on in October. I have NEVER sold 7 bull calves. I had orders for 5 before they were born - so I kept 7 in case a few didn't work out. Have an order for 1st & 2nd pick of bulls next year's calf crop. I am pretty amazed at the interest in my bull calves.
Females are my money makers, but sporadic income other than our May Stars & Stripes Sale. One heifer calf sold can pay for any where from 3 to 10 cows yearly expense.

@TCRanch if that was the prices at our sale barn, my buyer gives me the top end. I would have gotten $1.54. I lucked out. I talked to him back first weekend in Oct, High price was $1.50. They had a sale last week and the high for 700+ was $1.38 - he honored the price we discussed. Didn't even come up in discussion when he wrote the check. He has started buying steers from some of my bull buyers.

@TCRanch if that was the prices at our sale barn, my buyer gives me the top end. I would have gotten $1.54. I lucked out. I talked to him back first weekend in Oct, High price was $1.50. They had a sale last week and the high for 700+ was $1.38 - he honored the price we discussed. Didn't even come up in discussion when he wrote the check. He has started buying steers from some of my bull buyers.
Ummm, @Jeanne - Simme Valley, I would expect nothing less than top price and honoring the previous agreement with your stock. Well done, as always!

Where are you? Your boy is waiting!!! Only kidding - in no hurry. I'll get to show you lots of relatives to your boy.
Really would have liked to come and see your operation and pick him up, but couldn't get away from my day job. My brother had a window of opportunity today, just how things worked out.

Latest posts