Sold a three-legged cow today

Help Support CattleToday:

Muletrack

Reaction score
Sold a three-legged cull cow today -- 1320 lbs. for $0.58, so that was OK! The market for cows was very good with some big cows bringing $0.73. Burger grillin' time, I guess. Also bought (private treaty) three bred heifers and a big solid mouth cow for $1050 each (August calvers that fit my system). Overall a pretty good day. But we shall see :)

So what was her story?
The left rear foot was the issue. She spent the last month of her pregnancy on almost total bed rest! Coaxed her in the trailer with some cake and took her to the vet, and here water broke on the table. Doc ground down her old toe, glued on a wooden prosthesis, tipped the chute back up and pulled out a 100+ lb BWF bull calf. This was in September, and all seemed well until she broke off the wooden toe! It was a long, time till she could really get around pretty good, but she raised a nice calf which I weaned on April 09

She walked right into Jamestown (ND) Livestock on Tuesday and fetched over $733 salvage. So that was OK (minus September's vet bill, but that was last year's money). She was a little thin.

The left rear foot was the issue. She spent the last month of her pregnancy on almost total bed rest! Coaxed her in the trailer with some cake and took her to the vet, and here water broke on the table. Doc ground down her old toe, glued on a wooden prosthesis, tipped the chute back up and pulled out a 100+ lb BWF bull calf. This was in September, and all seemed well until she broke off the wooden toe! It was a long, time till she could really get around pretty good, but she raised a nice calf which I weaned on April 09
How big was she and how big was the sire? That is a big calf. Most around here are complaining that the pendulum has swung too far to the CE Bulls and they are looking for more frame.

Latest posts