Sold a couple

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Took poor old Yella to the sale to day. It will be interesting to see what she brings or if she brings anything. The cancer eye had gone out of control. Last week she still had an empty eye socket, the cancer filled it in and along her jaw in just a week. She didnt have much time left. Sad that she had a month old calf, but she's being taken care of and will probably live her life out here.
While we were making a trip, we took a steer we held back to put in the freezer. He was wildly colored and we were concerned that he'd get docked for looking like a Holstein even though we've never had any Holsteins. He was colored like a sim, but black and white. His face was solid though and had a heart shaped spot on his forehead. He's a nice steer calf, worth prime, we just worried someone would think he's holstein so we held him back. We now have a heifer who didnt breed and she has a funny gait like she's brain damaged. We'll put her in the freezer and hauled off the steer, who was a crazy nut. Even the guys at the sale barn called him a nut..lol.
Our numbers were low 400s so not many brought in. There was a group of cows brought in that looked like someone was selling out. I guess if you plan to sell out, now's a good time while prices are high.

Shanghai":3kssttgl said:
js1234":3kssttgl said:
I would assume the cow will be condemned.

That's what I thought when I read it
Edit
And the brain damaged heifer may be bse from chicken litter but probably not I'd go ahead and eat her ;-)
Welcome back Shanghai! :tiphat:

Cowgirl sorry about your ole Yella cow! I know she meant a lot to you. :(

Shanghai":19c2poly said:
js1234":19c2poly said:

Edit
And the brain damaged heifer may be bse from chicken litter but probably not I'd go ahead and eat her ;-)
The brain damaged heifer was like this before weaning. We fed during the 2011 drought to dry cows. We did feed to heifers we've kept, but she was this way before.

cowgirl8":3cyl3yr4 said:
Shanghai":3cyl3yr4 said:
js1234":3cyl3yr4 said:

Edit
The brain damaged heifer was like this before weaning. We fed during the 2011 drought to dry cows. We did feed to heifers we've kept, but she was this way before.
When you have as many cattle as you do, these things are going to show up occasionally. On big Ranches that don't keep as close of watch, they just die. But because you spend a lot of time with your herd, you see these things. Just stuff that happens in nature.

WOW, cow did sell and that even surprised me. Although she lost about 300 pounds in a month she weighed at around 1000 and brought 300...Better than a poke in the eye. (no pun intended...)
The calf did well too. He was right at 700 and brought 1100.. Now, if prices will just hold until fall...fingers crossed.

cowgirl8":2segn2ii said:
WOW, cow did sell and that even surprised me. Although she lost about 300 pounds in a month she weighed at around 1000 and brought 300...Better than a poke in the eye. (no pun intended...)
The calf did well too. He was right at 700 and brought 1100.. Now, if prices will just hold until fall...fingers crossed.

You did really well. In this country, an auction wouldn't even accept her on the premises if it was as bad as you said it was. I've got one to sell in two weeks, but the growth is still just a small, cauliflower shape.

Aaron":12i4f4q0 said:
cowgirl8":12i4f4q0 said:

You did really well. In this country, an auction wouldn't even accept her on the premises if it was as bad as you said it was. I've got one to sell in two weeks, but the growth is still just a small, cauliflower shape.
I dont remember when we had the cancer removed, it was small but involved her eye so the vet asked if we wanted to remove the eye. After weaning a huge calf, she looked to have many years left in her so i had him remove it. He told me, "If you see anything growing back, sell her quick." He sure was right. She calved a little over a month ago and thats when she started to lose weight quick and i saw a bump under her eye socket. In just a month she lost around 300 pounds and her eye socket was filled in and had half a basketball sized swelling under her eye. It was pretty frightening at how fast it grew.

Latest posts