Sold a couple 500 wt. heifers today

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
2 May 2013 beef heifers; one out of a British White cow (wh. heifer) and one out of a high % Angus (bl. heifer), both sired by the same Black Galloway bull. The buyer is local, knows us, knows our cattle. Got $1.65/lb. for them, which is pretty much top dollar price at Toppenish, but we probably wouldn't have gotten that out of them there.

you got a real good price for them.i sent 2 beefmaster heifers to our sale monday.an then there was 6 bull calves with them.i hope they all bring as good as yours did.

i use winnsboro auction barn an the SS livestock comm.we took this bunch of calves to SS livestock comm.only because we had help to catch emm on the weekend.

just got the sale totals on the calves we sent to the sale.my 2 heifers brought $625 a hd after deducts.1 bull calf was $695 after deducts.the other 5 bull calves ave $750 hd after deducts.was in a hurry so i didnt get what the calves weighed.

Sold several last Wednesday (13th)....

Average weight on Black M/Face heifers was 543 lbs and brought $153.15 ($832.10 per head and 192 days old)
Average weight on Black M/Face bulls was 432 and brought $198.43 (858.19 per head and 130 days old). Best price was $2.10 a lb for a 420 lb bull.

Now if the drought hadn't forced us to reduced the herd by 50% and I had twice as many calves to sell......I guess we would be lucky to get .90 cents a lb like we did before we had to liquidate.

We don't do what many of you do -- we don't have a big bunch, and we don't haul to the sale yard. Most of what we have/want to sell goes to private butcher beef buyers. The others are small acreage folks and just like our cattle and don't care what color they are. Works for us and we get pretty much top $ for them. We couldn't compete in the big cattle markets.

Latest posts