Sold a bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardin Farms

Reaction score
Had one cow that calved out of sequence with all my other cows so he was the only one left after selling my calves this spring. We just decided to hang on to him and take him to the local sale barn and take the kids just to kill a day i reckon.

He was a solid black bull calf that was 1/8th shorthorn born on Jan.2. He weighed 650lbs and brought $109/cwt. Bulls in the 450-600lb range were bringing in the $11X ranges. Anything over 650lbs was between $95-110/cwt. Had 1 hereford bull that weighed 1,700 lb and brought $101/cwt.

These were bull prices. This sale was in NE MS on Saturday.

He was a nice looking calf. It sounds like he got top price for his size range. That's good quality time to spend with the family. My son always loves going when we sell some.

A.J. said:
He was a nice looking calf. It sounds like he got top price for his size range. That's good quality time to spend with the family. My son always loves going when we sell some.

We were pleased with what we got for him. He was a little bigger than what i usually sell at, but he still did good for us.

We had a ball. We have 3 kids under 6 so its always a fun time with them.

MurraysMutts said:
135 to 150 here.
That seems a bit low for. Good steer

I was hoping to get into the 120 range with him, but the consensus at the sale was that prices were down?? They only had 3 buyers there this weekend so that possibly factored into that. Its a small family owned weekly auction.

TCRanch said:
MurraysMutts said:
135 to 150 here.

Nope. Nice looking bull calf. They get docked here.

Hehe. Ya caught that huh?
I did a lil later.
FWIW bulls were about the same per ctw.
I hope it's not a sign of things to come.
Heck 825 pounders were 138. Must just be the region.

Singles are usually a .10 dock around here, too. People figure you only brought one because he's got a problem.

MurraysMutts said:
TCRanch said:
MurraysMutts said:
135 to 150 here.

Nope. Nice looking bull calf. They get docked here.

Hehe. Ya caught that huh?
I did a lil later.
FWIW bulls were about the same per ctw.
I hope it's not a sign of things to come.
Heck 825 pounders were 138. Must just be the region.

At this particular auction, bulls and steers do about the same.. I dont know why?? There's one buyer that buys almost every bull that comes through.

138???? Man.. for that difference, it would be worth carrying a load there!

Buck Randall said:
Singles are usually a .10 dock around here, too. People figure you only brought one because he's got a problem.

That would make sense.. We usually carry about 10-12 at a time, but i bough this cow bred to calve out with all of my others... she ended up being open so put her in with the bull to keep from losing the year on her.

Latest posts