sold 7, did poorly but they were culls for a reason

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score

Really can't complain much for what they were.
I had so much going on the last year I haven't been able to do a very good job managing my stock.
Getting dry here and it was time to get rid of some before the bahia turned brown.

This is a good momma cow. #561.

NOT a good momma. Small milker and 2 calves in a row she didn't clean out. #562

upload an image

The wet bag retard. 2 yrs ago, after having a dead calf, when I got her up a few minutes later, she took off like a bolt of lightning across the pasture, ran over the tongue of a trailer, thru some other stuff, then wheeled around an went full bore thru a 5 wire fence, 20 yards later, skidded to an abrupt halt, looked about for 2 seconds and went to grazing as if nothing had happened.

It's dam sure time to hold em or fold em right now. Lots of areas don't get considerable Rain soon and alot of folks are gonna be in a real spot. Skinny cows got as low as .25 this week. That's way less than during drought.

From looking at the pictures you need some rain...........nice looking cows and baby calves on the ground.....hope you get some rain ASAP.......

i have 3 older culls to take in. i guess around 800/each would be OK since I paid around 1000 each 10 years ago for them and I had not idea how old they were then.. They are probably around 16 years old.. black baldies... still in good shape but the bags are toast.

greybeard":2yaio29u said:

Really can't complain much for what they were.
I had so much going on the last year I haven't been able to do a very good job managing my stock.
Getting dry here and it was time to get rid of some before the bahia turned brown.

This is a good momma cow. #561.

NOT a good momma. Small milker and 2 calves in a row she didn't clean out. #562

upload an image

The wet bag retard. 2 yrs ago, after having a dead calf, when I got her up a few minutes later, she took off like a bolt of lightning across the pasture, ran over the tongue of a trailer, thru some other stuff, then wheeled around an went full bore thru a 5 wire fence, 20 yards later, skidded to an abrupt halt, looked about for 2 seconds and went to grazing as if nothing had happened.

Sort of like selling your scrap iron pile......enjoy the extra cash. ;-)

I can see people dumping cows to save pasture and due to hay shortages .

We lost the first hay cutting in this area. Really weird spring super wet and night time temperatures too cool for our grass to grow. Rain turned off cool temperatures remained, when night time temperatures got right no rain.
We should be on the third cutting here and are just finishing the first.
Pastures are not in good shape either.

Caustic Burno":23limd1y said:

We lost the first hay cutting in this area. Really weird spring super wet and night time temperatures too cool for our grass to grow. Rain turned off cool temperatures remained, when night time temperatures got right no rain.

It's getting close here not much wheat hay put up because it wasn't worth cutting, grass is growing slow if previously overgrazed not hardly growing at all.

Allenw":23slufcc said:
Caustic Burno":23slufcc said:

It's getting close here not much wheat hay put up because it wasn't worth cutting, grass is growing slow if previously overgrazed not hardly growing at all.
Allen, did you ever start getting good rains. What will you do with the wheat, it sure wasn't worth combining.

kenny thomas":2z67wu9h said:
Allenw":2z67wu9h said:
Caustic Burno":2z67wu9h said:

Allen, did you ever start getting good rains. What will you do with the wheat, it sure wasn't worth combining.

A lot of wheat was abandoned, grazed out or hayed, there was some cut for grain but yield was low. Rain has been spotty and variable, I planted some haygrazer on a good shower and got it up with another good rain on it since planting, another field on that place has a good stand of crabgrass. I've planted some more haygrazer on the second rain that is starting to come up, they keep giving us a chance of rain and taking it away before it gets here.

Allenw":3645br6x said:
Rain has been spotty and variable, I planted some haygrazer on a good shower and got it up with another good rain on it since planting, another field on that place has a good stand of crabgrass. I've planted some more haygrazer on the second rain that is starting to come up, they keep giving us a chance of rain and taking it away before it gets here.

What percent of the time do you get a good crop yield with haygrazer?

We took 8 cull cows in last Tuesday. Range from 850# to 1175#. Got from $.46 to $.63 lb. Prices were better than a couple weeks ago when they were in the 40's and low 50's. I had a 1/2 jer/ 1/2 angus cow that weighed 1125# and brought just under $475 after the commission. She looked dairy. The calves the previous friday were in the 350 to 500# and brought anywhere from $1.44 to 1.65 /lb. The dairy cross calves I raised on the jersey & guernsey nurse cows brought in the 80's which is about average for here right now.

We were dry early, then got a 2 week rainy spell and are now just getting into hay this past week. Made about 15-18 acres orchard grass and about 10 acres of grass/weeds that will be killed for planting sorghum/sudan grass next week. Now we are getting more rain and looks to last for the next 3-6 days again. It is all headed out, over mature already, but it will beat snowballs in the winter. Pastures are so far ahead of the cattle now, when a month ago we were worried about the cattle going out having enough to eat....FEAST or FAMINE....

It is 4:30 sunday afternoon and it just turned dark and rain is coming down.....

Sorry for you guys down south with no rain. Another forum I was on said that the hay guys are not getting much/any and the one person said for all the other small farms to get their hay now as there might not be any.
Then I think about how up NY State, those guys couldn't make hay all last year for the rain....

Is there any "normal anymore" ???

farmerjan":m0bmbvhq said:
Is there any "normal anymore" ???

Not often.
Minnesota has alot more rain on the east side.
Here we seem to get about 1 dry year, one wet year, and a couple in-between.
An issue is that we get more 4 to 6" rain events and that water ponds up somewhere.

kenny thomas":aftek6oo said:
If it doesn't improve will there be lots of cattle sold there before winter.

I think they have been selling along already with older cows being sold early instead of this fall after weaning. I'm seeing a fair number of cows still out on wheat fields gleaning what they can. If we get some rain along this month and the haygrazer and crabgrass grows it will make a lot of difference. I have some grass patches I can keep moving my small bunch of cattle around on and keep going until fall probably with out too much trouble. If I had the numbers I would like to have I would soon be in trouble.

Stocker Steve":wpuaufoc said:
Allenw":wpuaufoc said:
Rain has been spotty and variable, I planted some haygrazer on a good shower and got it up with another good rain on it since planting, another field on that place has a good stand of crabgrass. I've planted some more haygrazer on the second rain that is starting to come up, they keep giving us a chance of rain and taking it away before it gets here.

What percent of the time do you get a good crop yield with haygrazer?

It's all dependent on the rain how it does, I would preferred to have had some Hegari or Early Sumac to plant but couldn't find any this year. The hybrid stuff can be planted deeper which isn't a bad thing right now.

Stocker Steve":3n7a05ru said:
How many grazing days worth of grass do you try to have banked up ahead of the cows?

Right now is when our warm season native grass should be just starting to crest it's peak growth period, we haven't really had a chance to get anything ahead really.

Stocker Steve":1y55ky40 said:
How many grazing days worth of grass do you try to have banked up ahead of the cows?

Ideally, 40 days, but reality is typically 30. Have 3 large pastures that are approximately same acreage/production. Try to get 20 days on one before moving to the next and so on..but 15 days is closer to the norm before moving to the next.

Latest posts