solar well pump

Help Support CattleToday:

My cousin in trans pecos area has 2 he put in to replace damaged windmills. I don't know anything about them but he says they work fine. He has the kind that don't use batteries, and his wells are about 250'deep IIRC..
He did mention the name..Groundfos or Grunfos..something like that.

greybeard":3ac8hpzc said:
My cousin in trans pecos area has 2 he put in to replace damaged windmills. I don't know anything about them but he says they work fine. He has the kind that don't use batteries, and his wells are about 250'deep IIRC..
He did mention the name..Groundfos or Grunfos..something like that.

Grundfos... They are a name brand in water well pumps.

We just put one in also after the hurricane to replace a windmill. It's like 8gpm and was a hair over $3K. It does not have any batteries either. We run it to a 3500 gallon cistern with 4 troughs. It's a little over 6000 gallons when it all full.

Just make sure you have a good cistern and/or some big troughs. I was surprised how much sun it takes to actually make the pump turn on. It's not some thing you run straight to a trough.

We will be putting on more. For the money they are a great buy IMO.

skyhightree1":343wjh8w said:
Oh don't think that price would work for me running wire to a pumps alot cheaper.

Ya, it's most likely the cheapest.

We have a large 5hp pump that feeds a big pond. We will replace it with solar next time. The cost savings on the electricity alone will pay for the solar pump.

Plus, after seeing these storms come thru and knock electricity out for several weeks I know of several people who were depending on their solar pumps. Slowly I will make sure we have at least one at every place for a back up.

Brute 23":3o0a9yhk said:
skyhightree1":3o0a9yhk said:
Oh don't think that price would work for me running wire to a pumps alot cheaper.

Ya, it's most likely the cheapest.

We have a large 5hp pump that feeds a big pond. We will replace it with solar next time. The cost savings on the electricity alone will pay for the solar pump.

Plus, after seeing these storms come thru and knock electricity out for several weeks I know of several people who were depending on their solar pumps. Slowly I will make sure we have at least one at every place for a back up.

I understand what you mean. It just woukdnt make much sense for me. I think that's great for heavily hit storm areas no doubt

I have 6 solars currently working. 4 Grundfos and 2 Lorentz. The Lorentz are-in my opinion-far superior to the Grundfos because on a cloudy day they are pumping and the Grundofs are idle. Grundfos panels seem to require more sunlight.
I went with solars because of longterm expense. I could have hooked onto a power line in one situation but it would be a monthly minimum forever. Solar is paid for upfront and done. My cattle are "off the grid" so to speak.
Solars-around here-are being stolen more frequently. That's sure a concern but if some jerk wants to steal, it's pretty hard to prevent it.

Also, the Lorentz have smart phone capability. There's an app you can download and keep track of the pump/well. You can turn it on and off with your phone. :roll: well I can't 'cause I have an old flip phone but I think it's a pretty cool feature. Maybe someday I'll use it. maybe. Mine are all on floats and have been trouble free-so far. First one was installed 8-9 years ago.

skyhightree1":gx5lsswk said:
Wind is free (for now) But, price a windmill and mast (and while you're at it, price the costs associated with repairing one the vanes have been ripped off of by the wind and cost of keeping the transmission repaired)
It's the reason so many folks have converted their windmills to solar.

Chocolate Cow":3dalm3kf said:
I have 6 solars currently working. 4 Grundfos and 2 Lorentz. The Lorentz are-in my opinion-far superior to the Grundfos because on a cloudy day they are pumping and the Grundofs are idle. Grundfos panels seem to require more sunlight.
I went with solars because of longterm expense. I could have hooked onto a power line in one situation but it would be a monthly minimum forever. Solar is paid for upfront and done. My cattle are "off the grid" so to speak.
Solars-around here-are being stolen more frequently. That's sure a concern but if some jerk wants to steal, it's pretty hard to prevent it.

Also, the Lorentz have smart phone capability. There's an app you can download and keep track of the pump/well. You can turn it on and off with your phone. :roll: well I can't 'cause I have an old flip phone but I think it's a pretty cool feature. Maybe someday I'll use it. maybe. Mine are all on floats and have been trouble free-so far. First one was installed 8-9 years ago.

You will have to have cell service and pay for data on that. :) It's nice to know you could do it if you wanted.

greybeard":11dchs9s said:
skyhightree1":11dchs9s said:
Wind is free (for now) But, price a windmill and mast (and while you're at it, price the costs associated with repairing one the vanes have been ripped off of by the wind and cost of keeping the transmission repaired)

:lol:

Bigfoot":11dchs9s said:
How deep are you pulling water from Sky?

The wells are from 300' to 600'

skyhightree1":3n56svq6 said:
greybeard":3n56svq6 said:
skyhightree1":3n56svq6 said:

My windmill guy told me a completely rebuilt head installed would be $4,000.
Then, someone has to crawl up that tower every year to oil it.
There is nearly nothing I hate more than to check water and find a windmill not working. Pump rod separated,maybe leathers shot or a hole in the pipe. Galvanized 1 1/4" well pipe is crazy expensive. Last I bought was expensive and imported. Lightening hit a windmill of mine a few years ago. Killed a cow standing beside it and blew the bottom out of the cylinder. And, cylinders are at least $400.

This is what I done. Solar to charge the batteries. Power inverter to go from 12 volt to 120 volts ac and a grundfo pump. I have 2 of these and they work great.

Latest posts