Solar Powered Water wells

Help Support CattleToday:

groveman14

Reaction score
Anyone out there have any info on the use of solar power for cattle water? My place is many thousands of dollars away from an electric source and diesel power is expensive too, even for the smallest units. I only have about 40 head so the demand is not too high in volume. thanx.

The biggest problem you may run into is the height you have to life the water. It may have changed by now, but we had to lift water about 100 feet and couldn;t find equipment that was cheaper then having water lines run in.

dun

My solar pumps work great and are very reliable. I have had them for 4 years now. My wells are between 60-80 feet deep.

We have one that is pumping around 4gal minute from close to 400' The deeper you go the more panels you need and the higher the cost. We put this pump in about 5 yrs ago and when it was all said and done cost us just shy of 10grand, with the solar panels being the major cost. It was well worth the cost and is very low maitence for us. It replaced a 14' windmill in a mountain clearing that pretty well had to be rebuilt yearly from the wind damage. We are looking to replace several other windmills that we depend on to fill storage tanks and supply major amounts of our pasture water with solar pumps as we can afford them.

We have 4 solar pumps here. We pump from 100 to 200 feet they are from solar jack. Gould is making a solar pump that is not a diaghfram pump that pumps from below 200 feet as one of the previous posts stated panels are the big expense. What I have learned here is you do need real good storage the more the better.
Good Luck

Latest posts