Solar powered water pump

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with using and maintaining a solar powered water pump system. I want to pump water from a stream into a tank, while fencing the cows out of the stream. I also would like to know the kind you would recommend. Any information you can give me would helpful. :)

Yep, read that before, I need to pump about 25 feet, with no power nearby. I also wish to avoid having to physically pump water each day. By running a gas pump or messing with it at all.

If you want this to work in the winter, it will have to be way oversized to handle the gloomy skies we have in the winter. Any chance at all you can locate the tank some distance away and get it to siphon? If you have enough fall you can fill the tank and plumb an overflow back into the ditch to keep the ground drier.

Solar will be expensive.

I ran a water tank on a siphon at a place with no power for about 5 years. It ran continuously for 3 years at one time with no freeze-ups or restarting. I used 1" black poly pipe laying on top of the ground into a Rubbermaid tank. For the tank inlet, I made a fitting for the drain hole that choked down to about the diameter of a pencil, and the water ran over the back into the pond's spillway.

The only time I had problems was when I first started using it and baby crawdads would clog the hose, so I had to put an inlet strainer in the pond.

I also did the same thing at another place for one summer with over 175 feet of black poly laying on the ground. I had less than 2 feet of drop, but it still worked.

Don't know exactly how much water you want to pump or how high a lift you need but...

I've used a small DC pump to water trees from my pond. The pump I used was designed for an RV to pump water from the storage tank to the sink. It has the added advatage of pressurizing the water to 45PSI to use on a hose. It was manufactured by Shurflo and cost about $75. I believe it only has a 12' lift capacity but I've used it on 300' of garden hose to deliver about 4 gallons per minute.

If you get with Shurflo, they have some very low power requirements that I think would match up well with a solar panel. I personnally used a battery with a battery charger.

Thanks, that looks like a good pump, Now I'm going to need a giant tank if I go with something like that. So I don't have to run it everyday.

KMacGinley":1ui4vowj said:
Thanks, that looks like a good pump, Now I'm going to need a giant tank if I go with something like that. So I don't have to run it everyday.

The Amish often get large tanks that they pump full with a gas pump, and connect a hose low on this tank connected to a standard stock tank with a float to keep it full. Only need to pump once a week or so.

Latest posts