solar or battery lights

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I built a roof over my handling facilities and I would like to install lights for night work. My problem is that it is not possible right now to run conventional power to that area. I am thinking either solar or battery power with a solar charger. Any experiences in this area? How long would a tractor battery run enough LED lights to comfortably work cows in the dark or to A I? Thinking about keeping the battery charged with a solar charger.

Boss I can't tell you about the lights. But we install about 100 gate openers a year. I've never replaced a solar panel except for lighting or physical damage. They are very dependable imo . More dependable than plug in units. I would have no worries with a 12, volt deep cycle battery and a 5 amp solar charger

All I can add, is I have a solar powered led light down at my pond. It's output is good for what I wanted--to be able to see out onto the pond and on the end of my dock--the light is on a 7ft tall pole about 10 back on a high spot, it's working time is 2 hrs/night, and will fully recharge on a sunny day the next day. Your intended use would probably require at least 3 of them. I've had it now for about 2 years and it hasn't given me a minute of trouble. It is motion sensitive, tho it does have an option for "on" continuously. They may have better ones out there nowadays--I got this one at Lowes and it was over $100 at that time.
You can check with Sky--I think he has one of the same lights on one of his sheds where he doesn't have electricity. You can't tell in the pictures, but it has two separate light housings, and each can be aimed different. You probably want something better than this one, but it has been bulletproof thru lots and lots of thunderstorms and really heavy downpours and hailstorms. Had ice buildup on it as well an kept working.

cowsandtallow044.jpg

cowsandtallow045.jpg

Hoss, the LED lights will run a very long time on a 12V car battery and they will provide plenty of lumens if you get the right kind. Here is a link to the place where I have bought LED strips before and have been very satisfied. https://www.superbrightleds.com

Use the 5050 LED cells since they are much brighter. Put about a 50W solar panel to charge your battery and you will have light galore. PM me if you want details.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to check out that sight lavacarancher.

I really like that pond greybeard. Looks like a place to sit and relax once in a while.

You thought about just using regular lights and a suitcase generator? Would seem like a good setup for occasional use. My brother inlaw has one of the 2000 watt Hondas that I borrow some and you can barely hear it run on a full load. Best extension cord that has ever been made.

HOSS":3ad7mcle said:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to check out that sight lavacarancher.

I really like that pond greybeard. Looks like a place to sit and relax once in a while.
In the summer, when things calm down, I'm down there almost every evening feeding the catfish.
View from the other side:
mar2012water026medium.jpg

may2014%20019%20640x480%202_zps2hhfyhmj.jpg

Latest posts