Solar or battery hook up fence energizers?

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
I have a solar on a nine acre field and it does fine. The battery will need to be changed every few years but it will work fine.

All of mine are deep cycle battery types. I also have a solar panel that hooks up to the battery to keep it charged. Without the panel a battery lasts about 2 weeks before it needs charging, with the panle, during the winter it needs to be recharged about once a month. I usually just make it a point to change batterys any time I reconfigure the temp wire since that's all we use them for.

Parmak solar pac fence chargers work really well, a lot less trouble than trying to maintain a separate battery with a solar panel.

I only use southern states solartrol chargers and haven't had any issues I have 2 in service that ive had for 3 years no battery change yet and i have 3 spares of the same thing its the only thing i use.

ResizedImage_1363133626519_zps125a8172.jpg

Hereford.. I love those boxes they are great. If i can find more I will buy them. I have noticed southern states only carries there charges and one other brand and no one elses now.

skyhightree1":3e26uuiw said:
I only use southern states solartrol chargers and haven't had any issues I have 2 in service that ive had for 3 years no battery change yet and i have 3 spares of the same thing its the only thing i use.

ResizedImage_1363133626519_zps125a8172.jpg

That look's just like the Parmak's I run as stated above.
I have three and they can all back each other up in the event I need to change out a battery on one.
I have one that is 15 years old or older. I have never done anything to them except change out the battery every few years.

CB & Hereford makes me feel good to know you all run those as well because you all probably have more experience with that kinda stuff than I do.

wow i never payed attention lol I honestly purchased them because they were considered the top of the line southern states brand I had no idea about them.

If you are getting into electric fencing buy a fault finder, it will save you a ton of step's.
I can walk across the driveway put the fault finder on and I know that the east and south run of fence is good move to the other side of the north and west.

Wow I never even knew they had fault finders see I only use the chargers on the property I lease my property has high tensile wire and barb wire fences and field fencing. What gauge do you use with your chargers CB I used 14

The Southern States charger shown in photos is just a re-branded Parmak solar pac 12. The 12 volt ones are somewhat stronger than the 6 volt ones but twice as costly . The 6 volt solar pac 6 works just fine, I have 5 of those in use currently, some running 2 years constantly. They work so well that we are in process of removing most all of the interior broken down 5 strand barb wire fences and replacing with 1 or 2 wire electric. Remember that ground rod is key to electric fencing.

Latest posts