Solar lights

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
Building a horse run in for my granddaughter. She wants it in a back pasture so there is no electricity. I am going to add a tach room on one end so am thinking going solar. Has anyone found any that are reliable? Just use for led lights .

Just a small 10-15 watt panel charging a 12 volt gel cell battery like in electric fence energiser. Keep to that size panel and you won't need a charge controller, you will have ample power for 12 volt led lights.

Ken

papavillars":35bjjv3m said:
Building a horse run in for my granddaughter. She wants it in a back pasture so there is no electricity. I am going to add a tach room on one end so am thinking going solar. Has anyone found any that are reliable? Just use for led lights .

I have a set of solar powered led lights down at my pond. Been there for several years now, have been rained on, snowed on, covered in ice and covered in dust. Work fine but are motion activated with the usual "off-1 minute-2 minutes-5 minute settings as well as 'test'. If no activity is 'seen' by the motion detector, they 1st dim to 1/2 brightness then a few seconds later go off until the next motion is detected, but with all the bugs at the pond, they rarely go off. It is easy enough to wire around the timer and once you turn them on, they will stay on for about 2 hours.
I bought them at Lowes a few years ago. They were pretty pricey then...about $100 IIRC.