solar gates

Help Support CattleToday:

texcar

Reaction score
We'd like to install a 16' tubular solar powered gate going in to our property. We've looked at the do-it-yourself kits at farm supply stores, and called to get "professional" installation prices. Anyone out there used the DIY and would you recommend it? Are they sturdy and reliable? Thank you all.

I have installed a few of the "Might Mule" systems on our gates without any problems. All are solar powered meaning they are actually marine battery powered that a solar panel keeps charged and all are 16' light-weight tube gates.
The Mighty Mule systems are VERY easily installed even when adding all the attachments (keypad, solar panel, ect.)
Only issues I've encountered:
1. While installing, I ran all the wires thru PVC pipe so they would look neat in appearance. Buy more Elbows, T's, and 4-Ways than you'll ever think you need. They cost what $0.15 but the diesel fuel to go get just one more cost what?
2. Each time I see them for sale, I see all the attachments but NEVER the post for mounting the key-pad? (LOWE's has them special order) I can't understand why the stores that sell the gate openers and keypads NEVER sell the keypad post?
All in all, they are EASY to install (Mighty Mule has GREAT easy to comprehend instructions) and I love pushing a button while in the truck and then driving thru.
Good Luck!

my experince is the mighty mule is ok for a very light gate but if you need parts it is almost as expensive as the original opener, main thing is you must have a good and level gate and it must be mounted well. a sagging gate will break parts and not open properly. i would go with a GTO opener over the mighty mule both are owned by GTO but the GTO has better hardware and is a better opener

I can always tell which of my neighbors bought Mighty Mule gate openers....they are the ones with the opener unhooked and the gate wide open all day and night! You really do get what you pay for in gate openers. I've had a U.S. Automatic Patriot for going on 8 years now, and all I've done is replace the battery a couple years ago. This thing is opening a 16 ft pipe gate that weighs over 500 pounds, and doing it at least 8-10 times a day, with us leaving for work and the kids leaving for school. They cost about 2 1/2 times what the Mighty Mule sells for, but they are 100 times less maintenance and 100 times less likely to fail on a cold rainy day or in the middle of the night. I put my on myself, including the solar panel and (2) keypads. Need some welding skills, but after that, its a pretty simple install, especially if I was able to do it.