Solar fence chargers

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
Good morning, what do you consider the best solar fence charger for less than $350? We have a few different smaller solar chargers on connected small pastures and I am considering going to one larger one to cover all of them together. These are 4 strand barbed wire fences with 2 strands of electric in between the lower 3 strings of barbed holding back replacement heifers. It would cover a total of 10 acres between 4 different pastures. I am leaning towards the Gallagher S100.

Paramark
I don't use electric much but there's a pipeline going in across on off our pastures. So I but a hot wire up to keep the cows out of the construction area.
I got thinking I know where there should be a charger. I found where I left it probably five years ago. Well on the ground, it had been wired to the fence. The top was off and there had been ants living in it. Solar panel was shattered. I put a battery and one of those cheap deer feeder solar panels on it and it's like I just bought. Nobody maybe stuff that holds up like that anymore. As far as power it's definitely bite your tongue, not quite wet your pants.

Parmak without a doubt. I have 3 of them. Two 12 V and a 6 V. The 12 V is the way to go. I have had my two for well over 10 years. They work great. I had to replace the battery on one a couple years ago and the other last year. But that is pretty good service. Easily over 10 years on a battery.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Considering the consensus was a Parmak 12V, I have one ordered from Valley Vet scheduled to be here by Wednesday. Thanks again!

Dave said:
Parmak without a doubt. I have 3 of them. Two 12 V and a 6 V. The 12 V is the way to go. I have had my two for well over 10 years. They work great. I had to replace the battery on one a couple years ago and the other last year. But that is pretty good service. Easily over 10 years on a battery.

My batteries last 2 to 3 years. Maybe its the dark artic winters.

I realize the 6V energizers are half the price and two thirds the output. Is there a place for them?

Stocker Steve said:
Dave said:

I realize the 6V energizers are half the price and two thirds the output. Is there a place for them?
I'm sure there is a place for them and,I've used them. The run needs to be short and kept clean for best results.No,it isn't the 12V but useful for those who have short stretches,broke animals and time to keep it clean.
I used on for a number of years around a 7 acre part of one pasture I make hay on then let cows graze the regrowth.
IMO.you can't do better for solar than a 12V Parmak.I also use one of their 110V chargers and would buy another,if needed.

My first 110v charger was an old $5 auction find Parmak that lasted 5 years until it was hit by lightning. I have used Patriot 110v's and Gallagher solar these past 10 years with poor results. I am looking forward to this new Parmak 12V solar.
Thanks again!

Stocker Steve said:
Dave said:

I bought the 6V first. What can I say, I am cheap. It works OK on short runs. But when I bought the next one I got a 12v. I wouldn't buy another 6v.

Latest posts