Solar Energy Help Wanted: Costs,Etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
We're looking for information on Solar Energy alternative for a new property we are trying to buy. If anyone has any info or recommendations on suppliers/installers of equipment in the West Texas area, I'd greatly appreciate. E-Mail or PM me if comments not appropriate for the Board.

Reason: Found out the nearest Electric Service tie-in to the property is 2.5 to 3 miles. The Elec. Coop wants $5.00 a FOOT to run a line to the property...(Miles X 5280' X $5.00 = Holy S**T)

Any comments, ideas, suggestions??

Thanks, Bill

Have you considered wind? Solar is expensive right now. Some good systems are coming within a few years though. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I would do a wind/solar mix. Heavier on the wind side. As these new solar systems come on line you can easily add them.
Here are some links-
http://www.hydrogenappliances.com
http://www.pacwind.net
And for the future-
http://www.infiniacorp.com/applications ... energy.php
I've worked with small sterling engines. They were the engine to use before steam. But they will be the engine of the future.

Don't know how much power you need but I would go with a diesel powered generator. I know diesel is not cheap but you can buy a lot of diesel for what they want to run power to you. Maybe even think about a smaller emergency backup generator at the same time. That way if you need to perform maintenance or work on the main unit you will still have power.

I would think in West Texas wind would be the way to go, with a propane or diesel generator for when the wind isn't blowing. (From what I know about West Texas that is not often.) :tiphat:

Running Arrow Bill said:
We're looking for information on Solar Energy alternative for a new property we are trying to buy. If anyone has any info or recommendations on suppliers/installers of equipment in the West Texas area, I'd greatly appreciate. E-Mail or PM me if comments not appropriate for the Board.

Reason: Found out the nearest Electric Service tie-in to the property is 2.5 to 3 miles. The Elec. Coop wants $5.00 a FOOT to run a line to the property...(Miles X 5280' X $5.00 = Holy S**T)

Any comments, ideas, suggestions??

Thanks, Bill

We are in the same boat!!!! $4,000 to run power to our new place.

I just finished installing a 30KW generator just outside Uvalde, Tx for a friend of mine for the same reason. Utility company wanted $10,000 to install one power pole and a meter loop pole!!! Claimed is was due to deregulation which was BS. My friend and his wife offered to sign a long term contract with the utility co but they refused. So much for dereg.

The generator under half load uses about 0.7 GPH. So at $3.22 per hour to run it gets pretty expensive pretty quick. Farm fuel will be a little cheaper but so far he hasn't installed a 300 gal tank.

Latest posts