solar electric chargers

Help Support CattleToday:

andrews29

Reaction score
thinking about switching to a solar electric charger and was wanting everybodys opinions with the solar and what brands are good and what to stay away from

How much fenceline are you looking to make hot?

I use a Gallagher unit and while it has had a panel problem not once, but twice, their customer support is second to none. When I sent it in about 2 weeks ago, they replaced both the panel and the circuit board under warranty and got it back to m right away

I use a Zabera 10 mile solar charger and it works great. I have about 1 mile to charge so not that much but it keeps it consistently around 7500 volts. I touched it about 3 weeks ago, it works well!

I have two Parmak (sp). One 12 volt and one 6 volt. I have had the 6 volt for at least 6 years with no trouble. The cow respect it. The 12 volt is the real deal. I forget how many miles it is suppose to run but I have about 2 miles on it. It tests at about 8,000 volts at the end of the line. I had a little trouble with the 12 volt two years ago. Sent it back and all it cost me to get repaired was the frieght.

Father has always had one. They work great although it obviously depends on how much fence you have hooked to it.

If you are switching from electrical power 110 volt source to solar you will be greatly disappointed. If you are using a battery charger you just need to add a solar panel and a charging regulator to keep the battery charged.

Suzie Q":hrw0h2o0 said:
The only downside I have heard from them is that they easily stolen.

I have never had a one stolen, solar pannel from irrigators yes, and a lot of batteries from battery powered ones. Not the unit so much as the battery. Moved over to shot car ones.

Once has some fool steel a lenght of fence from the side of highway, maybe 100 yards of posts, wire and the unit.

andrews29":1md2vfox said:
thinking about switching to a solar electric charger and was wanting everybodys opinions with the solar and what brands are good and what to stay away from

I have tried them all and the only one that has held up for me is Parmak have one ten years old and still ticking, just changed the battery a couple of times. There are three total here and all three can back each other up.
http://www.baygard.com/

Latest posts