Solar chargers...how well do they work?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I'm working on a little bull pen and thinking i might "heat" it up. how well do those solar chargers work and what can I expect? What brand do ylu use? I have to ask cuz I was in the biggest "feed store" in Travis County the other day and they were really confused when I tried to buy a " "lightning suppressor" for some existing electric fence I have....electrical stuff can be intimidating or confusing at times for me anyway.....the lightning arrestar was on another planet for them. I just don't want to dig underground power this long right now and I'm thinking a solar hotbox will do the deal. Thanks in advance.

I don't remember what brands we used, but they do work very well. It's just been about 5 years since I was useing any electric fence, and I haven't seen the chargers I was useing in a while.

The farms I rent and tend to I use solar chargers. I posted which one I use on here I will see if I can find the post. Solar chargers are great you just have to have a great ground and a reliable charger.

IMO the Parmak MAG-12-SP is the best, but I've sold some s500 speedrites and not having any issues to speak of.
The Parmak has been doing the job on wheat pasture in the Texas panhandle and SW OK for a Long time, so I'm staying with them

Edit
When I traveled Kansas I brought more patriot solar chargers back than we sold :D
So I'd recommend staying away from those

I like the Parmak 12Volt as well.Good ground is key on all electrical things. You want to keep fences a little cleaner on solar but they do work well.If yo are using a small area then you may want to use Par mac's 6 volt and save about 100.00.

I've used a 25 mile 6v Parmak for about 3 years now. It is on a pretty short run, probably around 5000 total feet of hot wire. Puts out a good 5800-6000 volts. Will drop without sun for 2-3 days, but generally any decent sun in a day will keep it charged. Had a lightning strike a year ago and ran to town, bought the only thing I could find on a Sunday which was a 3 mile 6v Zareba at TSC. Used it for about 2 weeks until the other one was repaired and didn't have any problems with it. It did run a bit lower...something around 4500 volts if I remember right, but it's a smaller charger so that wasn't a surprise. As a side note, Parmak did honor their warranty and fixed my charger at no cost to me other than mailing it back. I'm sure other reputable brands offer similar warranties, never looked into it though.

As they said, grounding is definitely important. I have 5 ground rods total, 3 at the charger and 2 on opposite ends of the fence. Had to put water to them during the worst of our drought in 2011, but other than that no issues. It will tolerate some weeds on it, but I try to keep the line sprayed to keep it clear.

I would assume you would be better served with a 12v charger, but I'm a pretty low budget operation and have no complaints with my 6v. Cows and bull have respected it so far. Small calves will slip through at times, but they can get through concrete as far as I can tell.

My son used a parmak 12 volt and a car battery....then he rigged up a solar panel to charge the car battery....

he said it was HOT....

I have a 45 watt panel charging a battery for lights in my stable....
I am thinking fo splitting my electric fence and putting the front half on a 12 volt charger from the stable....

cross_7":2yxudiwz said:
IMO the Parmak MAG-12-SP is the best

I'm with Cross_7 and others. Parmak 12SP works great. Kept my bull out of 150 heifers across the fence and 60 heifers across the road.

ALACOWMAN":3d7i4o04 said:
it has a design flaw.. it needs sun to operate.. something we aint had much of, this year

that is why I am going with the 12 volt battery model ....just on a charge it will run about a month....without solar.

Patriot, SpeedRite, Sta-Fix, and Pel are all made by the same NZ company: Tru-Test Group.
But here's where it gets murky.
Guess who Tru-Test's biggest shareholder (owner) is?
If you said Gallagher, you'd be right.

Latest posts