Soil Test Results

Help Support CattleToday:

lead_dog

Reaction score
I got my soil test results back today for a farm we're starting 12 months from now. We'll be raising grass fed beef and pork. Ideally, we'd like to go organic. Based on that, I'm wondering what actions you would take on these results. At a minimum, my extention guy said 2 tons of lime per acre.

soil.jpg

In amongst all this there are trillions of living things per cubic foot.
Organic requires no fertilizer use or very carefully chosen types anyway.
Check with an Organic group you might want to join and see what they say is acceptable

I agree you can't go wrong with the lime but I would change it to Dolomite which is Lime with minerals -Edit Yes next posters are correct it would raise magnesium levels too high

Learn to grow grass on your block and the cattle will take care of themselves

lead_dog said:
I got my soil test results back today for a farm we're starting 12 months from now. We'll be raising grass fed beef and pork. Ideally, we'd like to go organic. Based on that, I'm wondering what actions you would take on these results. At a minimum, my extention guy said 2 tons of lime per acre.

I use wood ash in the place of lime now. I was wondering if the ash would fit the organic rules. Grass fed it wouldn't be a problem.

With a soil sample like yours I'd put down 6 tons of ash per acre. If I were still spreading lime I'd go with 1.5 tons per acre and sample again in 6 months. And I'm sure it would need more lime on the second sample. That way it would be in layers as it worked through the soil and wouldn't have a high ph surface concentration.

With ash there's NPK in it plus a lot of other goodies. With K being higher than the other two. Some ash has as much as 50 pounds of K per ton.

Right now, the pasture is a mix of bermuda, fescue and weeds. This fall, I'm going to drill perinnial rye and durana clover to add to the mix, with the hope of achieving year round grazing. I'm hopeful that when I get the cows out there the weeds will start to dye out once the grass is clipped. Plus I'll have goats in with the cattle.

tytower":120030rr said:
In amongst all this there are trillions of living things per cubic foot.
Organic requires no fertilizer use or very carefully chosen types anyway.
Check with an Organic group you might want to join and see what they say is acceptable

I agree you can't go wrong with the lime but I would change it to Dolomite which is Lime with minerals

Learn to grow grass on your block and the cattle will take care of themselves

Dolomite has high levels of magnesium togo with the calcium. I don't think you need any more magnesium and would stick with calcitic lime.

lead_dog":2f8j23qe said:

soil.jpg

First thing, High calicum lime. I do not think you should use dolomite as it it high in Mg. Your soil tests high for Mg. I would not add wood ash unless I increased P. Your calculated cation saturation shows work is needed. H is every high. Ratio between Ca and Mg is low. By adding high Ca lime should correct Ca/Mg ratio and help to correct the high H.
Apply Humate at a rate around 100 pounds acre. Follow the rest of your plan. The addition of Ca and humates will increase biological activity which will help increase OM. Soil test again in a year. If needed increase P at that time. P in relation to K is low.

rmcva":7z61l7ml said:
lead_dog":7z61l7ml said:

I use wood ash in the place of lime now. I was wondering if the ash would fit the organic rules. Grass fed it wouldn't be a problem.

With a soil sample like yours I'd put down 6 tons of ash per acre. If I were still spreading lime I'd go with 1.5 tons per acre and sample again in 6 months. And I'm sure it would need more lime on the second sample. That way it would be in layers as it worked through the soil and wouldn't have a high ph surface concentration.

With ash there's NPK in it plus a lot of other goodies. With K being higher than the other two. Some ash has as much as 50 pounds of K per ton.

Wood ash has no nitrogen and very little phosphorus.

littleboss":3j0fgv3z said:
rmcva":3j0fgv3z said:
lead_dog":3j0fgv3z said:

Wood ash has no nitrogen and very little phosphorus.

That's correct. I spread N(34%) ans P(45%) seperate. I also have a lot of tobacco ground turned into pasture. The P is so high I won't have to use any for a few years on that ground. Since I started spreading ash I sample often so I don't get the PH to high. Then use to samples to apply only what's needed for the next year. I'm still learning this ash thing as I go along. I have no idea how long the PH will stay up after spreading.

I've seen the results of ash test and like you said the figures show very little nitrogen. But there something in it that'll turn grass green over night when the first rain comes after spreading. It'll grow like it's had nitrogen applied for about 3 weeks and still stays green long after that.

I spread some ash back in July and August. Had fields loaded with small grasshoppers. First thing I noticed was all the insects left the field as soon as the ash hit the ground. When I got to the center of the field the air was full of insects leaving as fast as they could. I remember my grand dad dusting the garden with wood ash from the wood stove.

Latest posts