Soil Sale Stimulus

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
A 140 acre piece of ground w/o buildings near me was put up for sale last fall. I called to check the price and thought it was way too high. Now it is re listed with a new realty firm.

Are you seeing field or pasture ground - not hobby farms - sell in your area?

I can't remember the last time any farm ground was advertised for sale around here. 40 acres across the road came up a few years ago for $2200 an acre and I thought it was nuts. He took it off the market for a while but sold it two years ago for $4000 an acre without advertising. About the only bright spot I can see in the economy is that land might get reasonable again. Not a bright spot if you are selling though.

A lot of full operations for sale up here. Problem is there are nice houses that are included in the packages and no one wants a house, so the rest of the land is priced too high to get at. The most valuable pasture land up here is worth about $300 an acres (cleared, no stones), and a lot of these packages have ended up pricing it at double that. :cowboy:

Aaron":1l55h4e3 said:
A lot of full operations for sale up here. Problem is there are nice houses that are included in the packages and no one wants a house, so the rest of the land is priced too high to get at.:cowboy:

Around here most pieces get sub divided into existing building site, potential building site, farm land, hunting land... These 5 to 80 acre pieces are then often sold at auction.

I think some investors are pulling $ out of the stock market and buying prime farm land. Recreational land seems to be much harder to sell.

Stocker Steve":2289s8hu said:
Aaron":2289s8hu said:
A lot of full operations for sale up here. Problem is there are nice houses that are included in the packages and no one wants a house, so the rest of the land is priced too high to get at.:cowboy:

Around here most pieces get sub divided into existing building site, potential building site, farm land, hunting land... These 5 to 80 acre pieces are then often sold at auction.

I think some investors are pulling $ out of the stock market and buying prime farm land. Recreational land seems to be much harder to sell.

Haven't been many sales here. Last Sept, an estate sold. On the edge of town, highway frontage. Bare cropland brought +/-$4000. The buyer will farm it. The very old house with 5 acres lagged. I don't really remember. My notes are somewhere.
I have farming neighbors who hope to buy 80-160 acres every year. I don't think they bought anything this year (08) but I might have missed it.
There used to an active "recreational market" and a "rural residence market" and cropland took a back seat. That has changed. People who bought 100 acres of wooded hillside so they could hunt deer have left the market.

Latest posts