Social standing in your town

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
The thread about not socializing got me to wondering; what is your social position in your hometown? Are you a big shot or a regular person? Are you a person that "everybody knows" and likes, or one that people would describe as "a little different?"

Do you feel comfortable attending just about anything in your hometown, or do you feel a little out of place? Are you known more by one group, such as the farming crowd, but somewhat of a stranger among other groups. When you buy the farm, do you think the visitation line will be out the door and down the street, or will a couple of folding chairs handle it.

It's not necessary that you answer each question; those are just some possible routes in describing your social position in your town.

I try to fly below the radar,, bad part is people think the opposite of you..because you want to be low key.folks think, that you think, your better than them..which
is far from the truth of me...we were poor as kids,,never have lost that part of my life.and don't want to..

That's a good question. I recently attended a funeral and wondered this very thing. After some thought I concluded I might be surprised at the number that would attend my funeral because I am blessed with lots of friends and acquaintances from diverse areas of the community even though I don't socialize a lot because of work. I'm not in any cliche or group nor am I a political type but most people know me or know of me and know me as honest and hard working and someone who puts their pants on one leg at a time just like they do.

People at the feed store know me along with a few others. I don't feel there is many people worth wasting my time on in Marlin TX.

I hate crowds. Two or three people is ok five is to many.

They will have a hard time getting the buzzards and worms to attend my funeral. Sure as heck won't be a crowd. Heck I've told them just cremate me and throw me in the pasture maybe it will fertilizer the grass.

There won't be much fuss for me, I'm supposed to be buried under my deer feeder in the back yard with in 48 hours of death. I could hermit up and be as happy as a pig in poop. But I'm forced into doing a lot of things that I ordinarily wouldn't do by the boss. We're blessed to live in Dodge and Telfair counties and support the community with our time and services as much as possible. You can never help enough, we all need to do more.
Your time is the greatest asset you can give your community.

I doubt, other than from church, that a 1/2 dozen people "in town" even know me by name.
By face, I guess some of the sales people would, but to be honest, upon my passing the truth is that the world (in town) would little care nor long remember I was even here.

Neighbors out here in the county tho..I know them all and they know me, but there's not a lot of social distinction between any of us unless it is with the old names that have been in this part of the region for 100 yrs instead of 50 decades.

TexasBred":1479yd5u said:
Heck me and the wife are still trying to come up with names of 6 pallbearers. :cry2: :cry2:
We went to a funeral last week of a dear long time friend. He didn't have the traditional funeral but just a service. We took my husbands parents who knew this man a long time, they can no longer drive themselves.
As time goes by funerals I think will be a thing of the past, the open casket kind.. None of our parents want a funeral, nothing, zip.. Just cremate and go on with life..
My mother in law has stage 4 metastatic cancer. She leaned over to me and said she was happy our friend had so many to say goodbye...then said, 'I'll be lucky to have 5 people.' I looked over at her and said, 'Oh youuuu.'.. but my heart broke inside.

One of the kids that works the drive through at McDonald's is probably no more than 20, covered in tattoos/piercings, and recently told me I was his favorite customer (I have an iced coffee addiction) because I'm always smiling and say "thank you". And last week one of the checkers at Wal Mart said she was glad I came through her line. That's the only social standing that really means anything to me.

I'm usually referred to as the BBQ man to those that used to eat at my restaurant. Some of the Chamber of Commerce people would call me a curmudgeon as I would tell them I was finished doing volunteer work. (Did lots of that before moving here and it would always be fiasco because of egos.) These days, on occasion, I hang out with people that range from their late 60's to mid 90's at the coffee shop for an hour or so. Pretty much think I just blend with the scenery and I like it that way. I won't need pallbearers because it only takes one to carry an urn.

hurleyjd":2aqay9tk said:
Caustic Burno":2aqay9tk said:
TexasBred":2aqay9tk said:
Heck me and the wife are still trying to come up with names of 6 pallbearers. :cry2: :cry2:

Be like mine have to hire five

Just hire a fork lift with an operator.
Pallbearers don't do anything anymore at most funerals. I have yet to go to a funeral that they carried out the casket...that's not saying its not done though, just the ones I've gone to and from what I've heard from others...

To answer the question honestly, I am known quit well by all.

I went to a wedding last night. Didn't want to, kinda had to. The young man was a soldier from fort Campbell. Not surprising, that he didn't have many people there. 4 people stood up with him. 4 people, that I was surprised he even knew. The young lady, had 4 stand up with her. Not sure what her selection process was, because no way she was close with those girls.

Oddly enough, I am pall bearer quit frequently for people I don't know.

Found out that I was more liked then I thought when I first got sick....folks I didn't think cared for me much,, were calling, visiting and praying for me...and wanting to help out with the farm....I am thankful for that...I think a lot of folks are basically good....

Oddly enough, I am pall bearer quit frequently for people I don't know.[/quote]
Probably your size,,, they figure he's not gonna drop his corner.. :cowboy:

Latest posts