Social standing in your town

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan":9d68zpgy said:
boondocks":9d68zpgy said:
I must've fallen asleep and woke up back in middle school...
Social standing?
I could not give an af.
Stopped worrying about that lo these many years ago....About age 13, IIRC....

I assume by that answer that there are no plaques around town with your name on them.

I didn't intend to give you a bad dream or imply that you should be worried about it, I was just curious. Cultural things interest me.

I just know that most people like to appear outgoing and hung ho, but with all the people here who said they didn't social, which fits me too, I was just curious as to how everyone fit in with their neck of the woods.

Didn't mean to offend, HF. I'm just very anti-caste/anti-clique by nature. I neither put anyone else on a pedestal nor let anyone put me on one. For one thing, I have no d@m balance and would surely fall off :lol:
As for plaques, I would cringe in embarrassment. My grandfather drilled it in us to do good deeds and give donations anonymously, for their own sake.

callmefence":9at77oxg said:
They just call me fence...
Fence they'll probably bury you standing up.....thinking "Ol' Fence will make a right good corner post". :lol: :lol: :lol2: :hide:

boondocks":3n836q90 said:
herofan":3n836q90 said:
boondocks":3n836q90 said:
Social standing?
I could not give an af.

I assume by that answer that there are no plaques around town with your name on them.

I didn't intend to give you a bad dream or imply that you should be worried about it, I was just curious. Cultural things interest me.

I just know that most people like to appear outgoing and hung ho, but with all the people here who said they didn't social, which fits me too, I was just curious as to how everyone fit in with their neck of the woods.

Didn't mean to offend, HF. I'm just very anti-caste/anti-clique by nature. I neither put anyone else on a pedestal nor let anyone put me on one. For one thing, I have no d@m balance and would surely fall off :lol:
As for plaques, I would cringe in embarrassment. My grandfather drilled it in us to do good deeds and give donations anonymously, for their own sake.

You didn't offend me, but thanks for mentioning. Maybe "social standing" wasn't the correct choice of words on my part. That's what is so difficult about typing as opppsed to face to face interaction. it can sometimes be confusing.

TexasBred":3lm8i2rl said:
callmefence":3lm8i2rl said:
Fence they'll probably bury you standing up.....thinking "Ol' Fence will make a right good corner post". :lol: :lol: :lol2: :hide:

Standing , upside down I don't care as long as they put me in the shade. They plant me in the sun I'm gonna do some haunting.

callmefence":1q80yq86 said:
TexasBred":1q80yq86 said:
callmefence":1q80yq86 said:

Standing , upside down I don't care as long as they put me in the shade. They plant me in the sun I'm gonna do some haunting.

Post turtle on your head ?

I dislike most social functions, so I don't interact with most of the community other than at places of business. Because I don't have close connections with most people, I have never had an issue with speaking my mind and calling people out. I think there is a shock factor to it, so many are reserved in what they say - don't want to upset such and such. Some really hate it and some appreciate it. I get along better with the redneck farmer clique than any other bunch of people - with them, everything is open for discussion and no one holds back. I know I turn off the town folk and the more polished 'agricultural producers', but I don't like them anyways so it's win/win. I can only guess that my standing in town would be somewhere between hillbilly hermit farmer and average joe, largely depending on who you talk too.

I have always and still do a lot of volunteer work so I am fairly well known. I have also taught adult education for 25 years so alot of people know me that I cannot remember.

I seem to find that I'm more well known/better liked than I think I should be. When we lived in CA I assumed it was because of my last name as I'm from a well known pioneer family but it seems to have followed me to Oklahoma as well. I do very much enjoy knowing that here my reputation is built by me as no-one met me until the day I hauled my last load into town. It's a horrible problem to have for an introvert like me.

cow pollinater":1s476p8x said:
I seem to find that I'm more well known/better liked than I think I should be.
My wife and I have noticed the same phenomenon. One of us will comment that it's really something the number of really good friendships we have formed since arriving here. I lay it in small part to us personally but more to the type of people we've met and gotten to know here.

We moved to this little town in stages starting about 15 months ago. In June we bought a solid, old house on the main drag and our place has become a swarm of kids from around town. Everyone in town knows it by the last name of the family that built it over 100 years ago.

Apparently word had gotten out that my wife will make fresh cookies for any ol' kid coming in of the street smiling. We had two kids I didn't know stay for fresh home made dinner last night.

I love this little town.

I just hope I can cover the grocery bills!

My eldest sings the national anthem at the local football (and some of the basketball) games.

My next oldest is on every team in town.

My youngest two are awesome in the classroom and are teachers pets sorta kids (except they don't brown nose, they just really like school).

Oh, and I may throw my hat in the ring for assistant baseball coach ... I won't decide whether or not I'll do that until closer to Thanksgiving.

So, my wife and I often hear, "Ohhhh! You're ____. Very nice to meet you."

I don't have any really, and I'm OK with that. A few years ago, my then partner and I took a bull to an ABBI competition. There, of course, were a couple big time stock contractors there, but it was mostly little guys like myself. I was amazed to see all the little guys going up and talking to the big guys, just sucking up. In that moment I realized that to be a big guy means one of two things: 1) everyone wants to be your friend b/c they want a piece of your success for nothing or 2) they want to be your friend so they can get a piece of your money for not much. Sometimes, being a nobody is alright.

boondocks":3d5tgpv5 said:
Social standing?
I could not give an af.
Me too. My wife is the social butterfly, I'm the hermit. Having recently attended many funerals this year, to accompany my wife, I realized most attendees were there just to be seen. Upon realizing this behavior pattern of my peers, I told my wife when I die to use the 12" auger to drill a hole near the big ole black gum on the hill between our house and the kids/grandkids house..........if she works it right, she should be able to drill down 42 inches. Then, poke me in head first with my ankles tucked behind my ears........use the loader to pound me in as required. Leave just enough sticking up so the grandkids can use my arse crack for a bicycle stand. After I rot a bit, fill the voids with lime and broiler litter, give me an enema. After the volcano is dormant, shove a possum grape vine in the hole and just water me. Make wine in my honor.

Caustic Burno":ex3sqpx9 said:
greybeard":ex3sqpx9 said:
"Wheels don't roll in these sand hills"
Here either, but at graveside, the final ceremony is usually on a covered slab, and there's a sidewalk from where the hearse parks to the slab.
Once the final goodbye is completed, and the last mourner has left, the coffin is left there on it's gurney on that the slab until the cemetery workers come to inter it. (Usually placed in concrete vault and then in the earth, via a backhoe)

(I was a pallbearer for a deceased active duty USN man in Louisiana about 25-30 years ago, and we had to lift the coffin up on top of a concrete vault, and then fold the flag with our arms up pretty high in the air due to the height of the coffin on top of the vault. They bury people on top of the ground over there)

Not here GB had one last week and one tomorrow.
There are no slabs in these cemeteries over here.
Some are a long tote from the hearse to graveside.
Sidewalk?
I have helped carry then through mud and water.