Social Media/texting/etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":1i0l8133 said:
Our phones ring non stop with all the contractors, sales people, office people, ect. You will learn to love emails and texts when you phone rings that much. ;-)
Yep. My cell is also my business line by necessity. Sometimes, when its really busy, I detest the sound of it ringing. But it beats being dead slow and not having any business

greybeard":34dl8nks said:
Everything about it is too JUNIOR high school for me.
I don't do any of it unless ya call what I just typed "social media".
(haven't checked email in 3 months or more)
Me too!

I use Facebook for my genealogy research, so it's real handy for that. Never liked texting and got rid of my cellphone years ago. Twitter is the magic wand for all the narcissistic people out there - the modern version of the constipated guy that goes to the toilet and comes back to tell you about it. Like CP, CT is predominantly my outside link to people in ag - not only can I pick which topics I want to join in and discuss, I can leave at a moments notice and avoid all the BS'ers.

denvermartinfarms":v1opns2r said:
greybeard":v1opns2r said:
Me too!
I often go for weeks without opening snail mail.
It's mostly junk.

Ryder":2uiwz48j said:
denvermartinfarms":2uiwz48j said:
greybeard":2uiwz48j said:
Me too!
I often go for weeks without opening snail mail.
It's mostly junk.

I never open that crap....it has bills in it....

herofan":13vgh3p0 said:
I think cell phones and texting are great for when it is needed, and I think the "Idea" of facebook isn't bad, and I was mildly fascinated by it when I first signed up a few years ago, but instead of getting addicted, I grew tired of it. I rarely even get on now. Everything on it is too "high school" for me.

Has all the new social medias changed people so much, or were we all dying to be this way before, but there just wasn't an outlet? It's like nobody wants any personal space or privacy anymore. Every time a thought hits their mind, it's on facebook or twitter. Stuff like, "Just left John's Steak House, Yummy!" Ok, why would I want to know that, and why would I want multiple other people to know it. It's not that it was done in secret, but what pleasure would i get from broadcasting it? Personally, I would get none.

I also want to gag when people put a mushy paragraph about something that happened in their past, or whatever. Why would i want to share that with everyone? People will get on during their anniversary and tell some sappy tale about what a great spouse they have. Wouldn't that be better spent actually telling their spouse? And why do people get on and thank someone for something? Why not thank them personally? It's like they want to let everybody else know that they're thanking someone for something? Why is that fulfilling? If I'm cleaning out the attic and get mushy, why do i want to share that with everyone? I guess I'm just old fogy.

And what I can't figure out at all is people who do something illegal, brag about it on YouTube, and then get arrested. Are people that starved for attention?

It is nothing new, it used to be Jerry Springer, now it is honey boo boo. No surprise how we got into the shape we are in, these people vote for a new phone.