Soap box time.........

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

V the V's response brings back this thought that I know I have expressed before, but here goes. A "GOOD" large animal vet is almost a partner in your herd, if you have 1 cow or a thousand, the vet is the key. If you don't think your vet is doing enough, find another vet. You must be comfortable with her/his skills, methods, the way he/she handles to animals, and most importantly her/his/its concern for the wellfare of your animals. Take the time to establish a relations with the vet. A "GOOD" vet is not an expense it is an investment in your future success. I'll climb down from the soap box now, and I am available for anybody to take pot shots at.

dunmovin farms

Which post did that? Where I said "my first thought was to shoot the vet"? Anyway, I actually agree that a good vet is an asset, a mediocre one is just an a**!

I totally agree with both of you. We started with a young vet just out of school and we both learned a lot about cattle & sheep even though I was born on a ranch and handled them all my life. New diseases, new vaccines, new antibiotics, it all keeps changing. The vet who stays current on the new technology, works with you and helps when you need it, is some of the best money one can spend. Unfortunately it seems that individual practices are becoming rare around here, I hope this one stays til I am too old to run cattle.

[email protected]

Actually that was just the last straw. But the "right" last straw. This is a subject that has been bugging the hell out of me for a long time. Maybe we're just lucky in always being able to find and keep an excellent vet in the areas we have moved to. I see neighbors with vets that I wouldn't let treat a post that they are perfectly happy with. But a number of them will ask me to talk to J---- and see what he thinks. I have mentioned this subject to him on occasion and he just gets embarassed. To us he is worth his weight in gold, thankfully he's skinny so it's not much gold. He doesn't like to work with horses, not because of the horses but because of the owners. He has been known to really PO some people, if you ask him what he thinks, you'ld better be prepared to hear an honest answer. We don't agree on evrything. He likes cows a minimum of FS 6 to 6.5, I want them a maximum of FS 6. Anyway, enough about him. Just remember, a "good" large animal vet is a very real asset. Damn soap box got in the way again.

dunmovin farms

> Which post did that? Where I said
> "my first thought was to
> shoot the vet"? Anyway, I
> actually agree that a good vet is
> an asset, a mediocre one is just
> an a**!

Hi Dun & Vicki, I TOTALLY AGREE. I have some great vets to work with. They know us and our cattle. Most of the time, they can help us over the phone because of this great relationship. They know we are "no frills" operation. Keep up the best health program possible, and other than calving difficulties, rarely need a vet. Hurray to great vets! Jeanne
> Actually that was just the last
> straw. But the "right"
> last straw. This is a subject that
> has been bugging the hell out of
> me for a long time. Maybe we're
> just lucky in always being able to
> find and keep an excellent vet in
> the areas we have moved to. I see
> neighbors with vets that I
> wouldn't let treat a post that
> they are perfectly happy with. But
> a number of them will ask me to