Soaking corn???

Help Support CattleToday:

I actually agree with you, My work load has shot through the roof. Started pastoring a church a few months, retired and changed jobs. A bin full of shelled corn is my easiest "feed" to put together. I don't have time to hater ingredients, and mix. It's this or trailer wean and sell. I hate doing that. I guess a complete feed is an option, COG on that is an offsetting expense in my opinion.
So how'd the soaking program go? My weaned calves are getting 5# dry shelled corn and last years wrapped grass/clover hay, along with free choice mineral. They seem to be doing good on this program.

So how'd the soaking program go? My weaned calves are getting 5# dry shelled corn and last years wrapped grass/clover hay, along with free choice mineral. They seem to be doing good on this program.
Oddly, they wouldn't eat it wet. I only gave them 2 days to adjust though. They are eating about 7 pounds of shelled corn a day, and my best grass hay. Seem to be growing, but no scales

I'm going the shelled corn route for convenience. I can't complain at all about how quick and easy it is.

I played with my cost of gain last night:
7 pounds x 30 days= 210 pounds 210/56= 3.75 bushels x 4.75= $17.82
There not exactly mowing through hay .16 rolls per head in a 30 day period x $35= $5.60
Might as well say it's costing me $25 a month to feed them

If they are gaining 1.5 pounds per day , They stand to gain 135 pounds in 90 days

At 2 pounds per day it's 180 pounds

180 pounds x 1.25= $225 $225 additional value costing $75 is worth it to me

Only unresolved question is, as corn prices rise will cattle prices fall? Ive got enough corn in the bin to get them to the 90 day mark.

This is a good approach, I've heard so many do and by the way corn is very useful for small animals, so everything will be cool!

Th
I'm quitting DDG. Locally available, it's a good feed, so on and so fourth, but I'm unretired and shelled corn is the most convenient thing for me to feed on my cramped schedule. I usually wean my calves 90 days. Figure I'll feed somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 pounds of shelled corn per day. Worth it to soak it overnight. Seen a bunch of that as a kid.
ey should get butterball fat anyway.

If you want more protein just spread some soybean meal across the top
I get a csm and sbm 38% cube that I use to top dress shell corn for my calves. They're available in a 3/8 pellet as well. Feeding cows I prefer the cubes they're hard enough they have to chew them giving everyone a more even chance at their share.

Latest posts