Soaking corn???

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I'm quitting DDG. Locally available, it's a good feed, so on and so fourth, but I'm unretired and shelled corn is the most convenient thing for me to feed on my cramped schedule. I usually wean my calves 90 days. Figure I'll feed somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 pounds of shelled corn per day. Worth it to soak it overnight. Seen a bunch of that as a kid.

What's the purpose of soaking? Palatibility? Digestibility?

Due to my own cramped schedule I couldn't mill/grind corn for a couple days last week and just fed whole corn. No one seemed to mind.

Grandma used to soak hers all the time....

Dangdest feet I ever seen.

But seriously. Does it take less time to soak? What's that do to the nutrition value?
"supposedly" increases both palatabilty and digestability.

What's the purpose of soaking? Palatibility? Digestibility?

Due to my own cramped schedule I couldn't mill/grind corn for a couple days last week and just fed whole corn. No one seemed to mind.
Supposedly that is correct.

Try some and see then report back. I had the same idea many years ago with some hogs I was feeding.....then i let a feed salesman discourage me from continuing it.
Spouting any seed is supposed to increase nutrient content and digestibility

Old timers did that with hogs and cattle. I'd say give it a go.

We used to feed sows shell corn and pellets, which were basically the same as range cubes. I've been considering doing the same with weaned calves this year, 6-10# corn and 1-2# cubes approx. Would really like to try soyhull pellets, but I only have a 3 ton bulk bin and need to store ten tons to make it worth a backhaul from the soybean crushers.

Soaking breaks down the starches, so they are digested faster, and you get less bypass. Cheapest method of processing corn. They eat it better too.
Believe I'll try it. How many pounds per head, do you suggest? Just weaned calves from my place. This corn, and my best hay for about 90 days.

Start slow. We used to feed high moisture corn. You just couldn't feed them as much as you wanted. It always made them to loose.
If they have seen corn before, is start at 2lbs /Hd for a week and see how it goes.

Never tried soaking it, but we are feeding whole shelled corn now. Used to have a time getting cattle on to it but now the calves got onto it good and prefer it to the mixed feed with soy hulls and corn gluten. I had switched back to that from a ration that had ddg in it.

Never tried soaking it, but we are feeding whole shelled corn now. Used to have a time getting cattle on to it but now the calves got onto it good and prefer it to the mixed feed with soy hulls and corn gluten. I had switched back to that from a ration that had ddg in it.
How many pounds you feeding?

Wouldn't you want to add some protein instead of just shelled corn for calves ?
I actually agree with you, My work load has shot through the roof. Started pastoring a church a few months, retired and changed jobs. A bin full of shelled corn is my easiest "feed" to put together. I don't have time to hater ingredients, and mix. It's this or trailer wean and sell. I hate doing that. I guess a complete feed is an option, COG on that is an offsetting expense in my opinion.

Latest posts