Soaked round bales

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":1hmtvuy0 said:
yep but where did it get ya :lol: :lol:
I know it was hard to not get things going and think summer was here but with this crazy weather we have been having I knew it would be short lived so I had to hold back on the temptation
I foolishly believed the WL when they said 6 days without rain, I was hoping for at least 3 1/2 or 4. No such luck.

Yep that is the first thing you learn that the weather predictors don't have a clue.

We didn't irrigate because every day they said rain and every day not a drop and we had put seed in.

We finally put the irigator on last night and lo and behold it is raining this morning.

dun":2mibqrbl said:
Well they're stillin the hay field. Raining now and supposed to pretty much till early next week. The worst part is it will not be enough to really amount to anything, just enough to keep everything soggy

Could be snow...

Stocker Steve":1kma8j5q said:
dun":1kma8j5q said:
Well they're stillin the hay field. Raining now and supposed to pretty much till early next week. The worst part is it will not be enough to really amount to anything, just enough to keep everything soggy

Could be snow...
As cold as it felt I almost thought it was, 40 for highs in may just sucks

This is driving me nuts not having cut anything yet. Anybody lay any down today? I had to run some errands today an hour away and didn't see anyone cutting, they were calling for storms tonight and tomorrow night but it turned out beautiful today. I'm thinking about cutting the first field tomorrow, albeit small and close to the house just in case.

Hear your boy Ken rolled some today, wife's father said you'd probably choke to death if you unrolled one this winter!

dun":n3aanp00 said:
We got really hammered right after we finsihed baling and the hay field is squishy wet again and the bales are almost soggy. Will the dry out faster on their side or standing on end?

Good question. I'm going to guess that they will dry out faster on their side based on the idea that the more surface area you have exposed to the sun and air (i.e. the less ground contact you have) the faster the roll will dry. I think that on a new roll that still has a good round shape there is probably about half the ground contact than if flipped on its end.

This presents a chance for an experiment for future reference. Pick 3 rolls near each other with the same sun and wind exposure. Flip one on its end, and prop the edge of the 3rd roll up with a cinder block or log or something so air can get underneath the bail. Then see which of the 3 dries out the fastest.

To determine the level of drying that took place you would ideally need to weigh the bales at the start of the experiment, and then again in about a week or month etc.

Latest posts