So....

Help Support CattleToday:

Husband and I are about ready to down-size, pack what we can carry and head for the Hidden Valley and, hopefully, meet up with John, Dagney, Ragnor and the rest.

Katherine

Commercialfarmer":3ntbcoqz said:
How does the galt thing work?
A wise philosopher once explained that to deal with a problem you first identify the problem. Second, you ask "what are the facts"?
Third, what should I/we do about it? And that is ethics.

Ayn Rand believed in "objectivism", or "objective ethics". That is the starting place. It is an inner and individual thing.
Her book was about the "looters". Those that twist facts to make things sound the way they want them to be rather than what is true.
The looters are found in industry,government, banking, the arts, science, educaton, just everywhere. They will tell you that you are wrong if you think 1+1=2, or whatever. They throw out truth and logic and twist it to make it what they want it to be.

John Galt saw things for what they were and decided, in his own way , to do something about it. In time he was able to show some of the brightest and most productive people the truth of the way things really were. The products of their minds and labors were being squandered by the looters.

Galt believed in trading. I take what I produce by my abilities and efforts and trade it to you for what you produce that I want and need.
Those that went with Galt saw the hypocrisy of what was going on and that they were the producers being used by the looters. The producers were carrying the world on their shoulders.

The motor of the world is what produced and was pillaged by the looters. They knew that couldn't just change it. The looters would never allow that.
So they (Atlas) just shrugged their shoulders and let it fall. They withdrew, disappeared.
They formed a group in a hidden place and kept producing and trading among themselves.
They were not lazy, non-productive bums. On the contrary...
I think they knew that when it all fell down, then they could come back in again and operate in the philosophy of "objectivism".

That is my short version. Maybe others can add to it.
To really begin to get into the heart of it you do have to read the book. (Not movie)