So you want to raise buffalo?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice technique. Maybe if they had a wider lane or more people it would go better. It would be nice to see a bunch of them in the wild.

The way that one feller was flapping his arms and grunting . I thought the yellow jackets had him.
They could all jump fence like sky when he sees a copperhead.

The temptation to shoot it, and then drag it with a tractor to the final destination would probably be more than I could bare.

Years ago a friend of mine decided to raise them. He learned that the old adage about "being able to herd them anywhere they wanted to go" was pretty accurate

Isle fence is pretty weak and horse net fence is near useless, there just not set up very well for Buffalo. Maybe they should sell tickets to their show.

M-5":2ext8l60 said:
what the heck would yall do if you were penned with a herd of goats and 2 big chickens

Well if it was me, I would say why not get a couple of buffalo to add to my petting zoo. But, when they proved too much for me too handle I would get a few guys that know nothing about handling cattle, let alone buffalo, and have them help. First I would tell them all to hang on the fence in front of were I wanted the buffalo to go, then I would get behind them in that wide alley making sure the inexperienced guys ahead of the buffalo spooked them and forced them to turn around back toward me. But no worries, I built the alley so wide the buffalo can run right past me several times.

There is or was a herd of Bison at OC Fisher State park at San Angelo. Their "people area" fences were sawed utility poles and 1/2" wire rope (cable) stretched tight as heck and posts every 10'-12' apart.

H1b_87NorthSanAngelo_Wikipedia.jpg

There's another at Cap Rock Canyon State Park, that now (as of 2014) has 15,000 acres for them to roam in. Both herds are part of the original Goodnight herd, genetically pure bison saved by Charles Goodnight and his wife.

The Texas herd was started in the 1870s with five bison calves captured by Charles Goodnight, one of the most prosperous cattlemen in the American West, with more than 1 million acres of ranch land and 100,000 head of cattle at his peak.

His wife urged him to save the bison, also known as buffalos, because hunters were killing them by the hundreds of thousands for their hides and meat and to crush American Indian tribes who depended on the animals for food and clothing.

The herd was donated to the state in 1997 and moved to 330 acres of the state park, which was once part of Goodnight's JA Ranch between Lubbock and Amarillo.
They can get feisty...

0.jpg

Latest posts