So what is this on the trail camera?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have to agree with CB here. The North American Mountain Lion does not come in the color black. That does not mean that some from. South American were not brought in as pets and later released.
True North American Mountain Lions were turned loose in the Smokey Mountain National Park a few years ago. Excuse was to control the deer population. Within a couple months they were documented outside the park killing goats instead. These lions wore collars so it was well known where they were.
It wouldn't surprise me to see a Bengal tiger or an African lion in these woods. There is no telling what one of these hillbillies have for a pet.
There just isn't a black panther behind ever tree these deer hunters see. They amazing thing is they can't get a picture or shoot one to be documented. You walk through the woods and they will 18 photos of you for the GW.

Bobcat. That was my first reaction. I have killed a bunch of them and seen a lot of them in the wild. Next I saw what people are thinking might be the end of a tail. Far a while I was thinging that a cougar was a possibility. But cougars carry their tail up higher, not dragging on the ground. They are also much longer than that object appears to be. So I am going solid with bobcat. They are much more common too.

No black color phase (termed melanistic) of a cougar has ever been documented. There is, however, documentation of melanistic jaguars (Panthera onca) that live in Mexico and south to northern Argentina, as well as melanistic leopards (Panthera pardus) in Africa.
That TWRA link is out of date. There have been many more sightings since then. Mountain Lions were reintroduced to the Great Smokey Mountains back into the 90's.

I have heard lots of people swear they have seen "Black Panthers" in the Smokies. That is why I tagged Kenny. He is in the business and he should know. I have lots of people tell me they got a picture but I have yet to see one. To me, the "North American Black Panther" is something folks want to believe but it is just a thing of legend.

That TWRA link is out of date. There have been many more sightings since then. Mountain Lions were reintroduced to the Great Smokey Mountains back into the 90's.

I have heard lots of people swear they have seen "Black Panthers" in the Smokies. That is why I tagged Kenny. He is in the business and he should know. I have lots of people tell me they got a picture but I have yet to see one. To me, the "North American Black Panther" is something folks want to believe but it is just a thing of legend.
Actually it's not out of date, pick a state and a wildlife department.
It's simple there has never been a documented case of a black mounted lion, cougar, panthers or whatever regional name you want to call it.
Now these sightings are almost as numerous as flying saucers.

Actually it's not out of date, pick a state and a wildlife department.
It's simple there has never been a documented case of a black mounted lion, cougar, panthers or whatever regional name you want to call it.
Now these sightings are almost as numerous as flying saucers.
I did not mean to imply that there had ever been a black panther confirmed sighting. But there have been numerous Cougar (Mountain Lion) sightings in Tennessee since 2016.

You all can believe whatever you like. But there are large black cats in this area. I put my life on it.

It's very possible. Black cats are from South Africa or something like that. People get them as pets when they are young than when they get big they can't keep them amd end up letting them go in the wild.
They have been spotted in Kentucky.

Guy over this way lost some goats to q cat large enough it carried them over a woven fence. I didn't see it with my eyes. But I believe him.
My neighbor's mother was loosing goats and sheep. One every three or four days. They put up a game camera. Got a picture of an average size cougar going over the fence with a full grown ewe in its mouth.

I was hunting turkeys about 10 years ago sitting on the ground up against a tree. A bobcat walked right in front of me about 15 yards away. Its head was shaped just like that, although this one was probably less than 30 lbs. It was gray with black spots, but I've gathered over the years that they can be gray or brown, spots or no spots.

My neighbor's mother was loosing goats and sheep. One every three or four days. They put up a game camera. Got a picture of an average size cougar going over the fence with a full grown ewe in its mouth.
Guy about 10 miles south of us lost a few calves - they just seemed to disappear. Eventually talked to the Game Warden and he said "look up". If a mountain lion/cougar doesn't bury its kill and it's small enough, it will hide it in a tree. Sure 'nuff, he found what was left of a calf in a tree. Never found the other calves, so who knows?

Latest posts