So what is this on the trail camera?

Help Support CattleToday:

It looks like a big house-cat to me. Ears are too pointy for a cougar and its head is a little too big in proportion to its body for a cougar. At least the ones around here. The long tail eliminates Bobcat, plus ears are wrong for that too. There is nothing in the photo to indicate its size, but it sure looks like a regular gold colored kitty cat to me.

It looks like a big house-cat to me. Ears are too pointy for a cougar and its head is a little too big in proportion to its body for a cougar. At least the ones around here. The long tail eliminates Bobcat, plus ears are wrong for that too. There is nothing in the photo to indicate its size, but it sure looks like a regular gold colored kitty cat to me.
I don't think we can make out a tail based on this pic.

You could be right on that. I might be looking at something on the ground behind the cat. My second guess would be bobcat. We have many of those in this area, so we see them often. This one looks a bit different than our local cats, but I know there are slight differences in different areas. Minnesota bobcats looked a little different than the ones here in Oregon.

The build and size looks like a bobcat. Whats throwing me off is the markings or i should say lack of. Maybe it just doesnt have the typical markings that we see here or the photo just isnt the greatest at showing all the detail. Maybe mountain lion cub explains it? (Dont know if you have them?) Just doesnt look quite like our bobcats but build is stocky unlike a common cat.

The build and size looks like a bobcat. Whats throwing me off is the markings or i should say lack of. Maybe it just doesnt have the typical markings that we see here or the photo just isnt the greatest at showing all the detail. Maybe mountain lion cub explains it? (Dont know if you have them?) Just doesnt look quite like our bobcats but build is stocky unlike a common cat.
We are not known to have mountain lions in this area but that's what my friend insists this is. I'm skeptical.

I agree that it is rare to see a Mountain Lion in Middle Tennesse, but the sightings have been on the rise for the last few years. It is also rare to see a Bobcat too. But they are both all across the state. It appears to me to be too high off the ground to be a house cat.

After looking at the differences between them, I am leaning toward Bobcat now because of the jawline. If it is a house cat, it is a darn big one based on the size of those dead weeds in the front of the picture.

Bobcat would be my guess. I have never seen one on our place. They are probably present in most areas just very elusive.

Bobcat would be my guess. I have never seen one on our place. They are probably present in most areas just very elusive.
We live in a subdivision in Franklin, TN (near Nashville) with lots of woods all around us but plenty of houses as well. One night a few years ago I spotted a bobcat with 2 kittens out in my driveway under a floodlight. I watched them for about 5 minutes. It was very cool.

This is a young cat, they get bigger than you think.
They are fawn killing machines.

Attachments

• 64CF78A5-B8F4-46A5-BCA1-61C50AA12B76.jpeg
    64CF78A5-B8F4-46A5-BCA1-61C50AA12B76.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 43
Definitely looks like a Bobcat to me.

Mountain lions have long, thick tails, that they usually carry behind them. I think if that critter had one, it would be visible. They have a longer snout too.

Latest posts