So tiny! Why?

Help Support CattleToday:

She does look a bit gant huh?
Did she retain placenta?
Interesting...

I had one got really bad on me couple years ago. She retained for a while. I think she got sick from it. Then she quit making milk. Down the road she went... sold her calf as a bottle baby.

Either way. She done a good job.
No, she cleaned immediately. Wormed, treated for anaplas & gave her Sustain when I brought her in after she calved. She acts perfectly normal and has a voracious appetite; nothing out of the ordinary except thin. But I'm just not willing to take a chance on another dink.

No, she cleaned immediately. Wormed, treated for anaplas & gave her Sustain when I brought her in after she calved. She acts perfectly normal and has a voracious appetite; nothing out of the ordinary except thin. But I'm just not willing to take a chance on another dink.
I know the feeling.
My lil Rosy has a great looking lil heifer this time. But upon examination today, she probly 20 pounds lighter than all the others at birth. I really like the lil cow, but I think I've changed my mind, and this will be her last for me.
Sucks to sell a good ol mama, but we must improve the herd!

Here she is with a litter mate. Rosy and hers on the right. Texas' baby on the left.
20211003_123848.jpg

Thanks @Jeanne - Simme Valley
The Hereford sire helped a bunch I think. Rosy's last calf was a lil meat wagon. (Bought her bred not knowing the sire) but that calf was shorter as well. Her calf was a couple months older than the rest of the group I sold her with, but similar in size.

I'm actually quite impressed and pleasantly surprised with the consistency the Hereford bull has given me, even with mixed cows...

P.S. the dink I sold private treaty last year is still "yard art" and they have no intention of selling him. Yet. But periodically send me updates/pics and he's now as big as the others. Who knew?
They need another one!
Nothing wrong with yard art i reckon.

I don't get to turn my babies out in the yard. Wife says they'll eat her trees that she's trying really hard to get going. Its a hard enough battle out here in the land of the scorching sun as it is.
I DO get to walk Opal around and sometimes Seven gets a quick browsing thru the yard. But if she ever goes after a tree ill be done for!

Latest posts