Help Support CattleToday:

OP
TCRanch

TCRanch

Reaction score
She does look a bit gant huh?
Did she retain placenta?
Interesting...

I had one got really bad on me couple years ago. She retained for a while. I think she got sick from it. Then she quit making milk. Down the road she went... sold her calf as a bottle baby.

Either way. She done a good job.
No, she cleaned immediately. Wormed, treated for anaplas & gave her Sustain when I brought her in after she calved. She acts perfectly normal and has a voracious appetite; nothing out of the ordinary except thin. But I'm just not willing to take a chance on another dink.

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
No, she cleaned immediately. Wormed, treated for anaplas & gave her Sustain when I brought her in after she calved. She acts perfectly normal and has a voracious appetite; nothing out of the ordinary except thin. But I'm just not willing to take a chance on another dink.
I know the feeling.
My lil Rosy has a great looking lil heifer this time. But upon examination today, she probly 20 pounds lighter than all the others at birth. I really like the lil cow, but I think I've changed my mind, and this will be her last for me.
Sucks to sell a good ol mama, but we must improve the herd!

Here she is with a litter mate. Rosy and hers on the right. Texas' baby on the left.
20211003_123848.jpg

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Thanks @Jeanne - Simme Valley
The Hereford sire helped a bunch I think. Rosy's last calf was a lil meat wagon. (Bought her bred not knowing the sire) but that calf was shorter as well. Her calf was a couple months older than the rest of the group I sold her with, but similar in size.

I'm actually quite impressed and pleasantly surprised with the consistency the Hereford bull has given me, even with mixed cows...

OP
TCRanch

TCRanch

Reaction score
Size is relative! Dwarfed in between two heifers, but refusing to get bumped from the bunk.😁

BTW, got a whopping $.60 per# for mama. Ouch.IMG_20211018_151624479_HDR.jpg

OP
TCRanch

TCRanch

Reaction score
HERD BULL!!!
🤣🤣🤣

Love it! Makes ya wanna keep him around just for kicks huh?
P.S. the dink I sold private treaty last year is still "yard art" and they have no intention of selling him. Yet. But periodically send me updates/pics and he's now as big as the others. Who knew?

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
P.S. the dink I sold private treaty last year is still "yard art" and they have no intention of selling him. Yet. But periodically send me updates/pics and he's now as big as the others. Who knew?
They need another one!
Nothing wrong with yard art i reckon.

I don't get to turn my babies out in the yard. Wife says they'll eat her trees that she's trying really hard to get going. Its a hard enough battle out here in the land of the scorching sun as it is.
I DO get to walk Opal around and sometimes Seven gets a quick browsing thru the yard. But if she ever goes after a tree ill be done for!

Latest posts