So, so many things to do...

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
and only so much time.

Mother Nature has been kind to us Northern folks, we've had record high temps. And dear, slave driving relentless, stubborn, hubby has had us working round the clock.

Take for instance the past two weeks, give or take a day or two.

This is what has been accomplished:

Hubby has normal job, 40/hrs per week, and had an additional 42 hours OT, and I worked regular job 40/hrs per week.

Loaded fill in and prepped a pad for cement. Built the forms. Tore down 2 corn cribs, hauled them to the farm and erected them.

Had daughters confirmation and party.

Had shale brought in and took care of all the low spots cattle were wearing down.

Hubby worked at wiring his bro's new shed 19 hours.

Hubby and I worked at neighbors 12 hours and put in a new 200 amp panel in his house, buried 250 feet of wire to his shed. Hubby then hooked up the shed, and moved the yard light to the shed to get rid of an extra transformer, meter socket, and pole from the neighbors yard.

built the corral for the yard beef. Caught, (hehe what a story THAT is), the 6 yard beef, hauled them to the farm, separated the 2 heifers out and sold them at auction.

Ran all the cows and bull through for deworming. Had the vet out, cut the bull calves, vaccinated and dewormed them.

Set the corrals up for the feed out of the fats.

I AM EXHAUSTED.

The to do list is still long, but it is looking good.

Major things left:

One stretch of fence needs to be replaced before winter, and of course corn picking, which is hubby's favorite of all farm jobs, so that is not even like work for him, I know, he's cracked in the head.

His latest comment:

"I need to go back to work to rest up"

Nut, nut, nut.

O and damage report from working cattle:

One twisted ankle.... he suffered through the day with minor ill effects.

One sprained elbow, no clue how I did that one, but the next morning I sure felt it.

One cow did not get dewormed as she was the last one to do, found out she was the last one, and high tailed it over the gate. Gate has a nice kink in it.

This of course led to the husband rant about how no corral should be built under 12 foot tall, and we will double the gates one on top of another, and then watch them "hateful beasts" bounce off and blah, blah, blah.... at this point the selective hearing turned on and I have no idea what else what was said.

The farm shed is a mess, and I really should be there instead of on here cleaning all the tools, misc items, etc etc and getting them put away. But it is raining off and on, kind of dreary, and this chair is feeling GOOD!

How many others are having that fall push to get things done? Or are we procrastinators? I don't feel like we are, but every fall, it seems like we have a big push. UGH.

Michele

Change of seasons is always tough on me. I had to stop today to make breakfast sausage that would have gone bad if I didn't. Soon as I'm finished I'll crank it all up again but I am kinda enjoying this sausage making day. I'm afraid it might just take a little longer than i scheduled. :oops: ;-) :lol2:

Ain't farm life wonderful. Glad to hear your are pulling your share of the 80 hour work week. I'm supposed to be working on partition fences but the wind is blowing 20 mph. Bad as I hate working in the windy conditions, I'll go out and set a couple more corners in a little while. I have to do a little something each day to be able to take a little vacation each day. :lol2: Slow and Steady.

1982vett":13ihpxa5 said:
I'm supposed to be working on partition fences but the wind is blowing 20 mph.

Same winds here sometimes harder gusts. I was out felling trees and decided they could stand there another day or 2 without any problem.

1982vett":31m2hu9s said:
Ain't farm life wonderful. Glad to hear your are pulling your share of the 80 hour work week.

:nod: I feel I gotta pull the long hours cause there is so much I want to get done and so much to be done. It also seems like I'm trying to climb a mountain of sand and I'm near the top but I just can't seem to reach the peak and walk downhill a while. Of course work keeps me out of trouble and I'm sure if I didn't have a lot to do I'd surely find trouble in short order. :oops:

Jogeephus":2w145zt5 said:
1982vett":2w145zt5 said:
Ain't farm life wonderful. Glad to hear your are pulling your share of the 80 hour work week.

:nod: I feel I gotta pull the long hours cause there is so much I want to get done and so much to be done. It also seems like I'm trying to climb a mountain of sand and I'm near the top but I just can't seem to reach the peak and walk downhill a while. Of course work keeps me out of trouble and I'm sure if I didn't have a lot to do I'd surely find trouble in short order. :oops:

The trouble is you don;t walk downhill, you slide. As long as the top of the hill is in front of you. you have no where to go but up!

dun":3nu7x02c said:
1982vett":3nu7x02c said:
I'm supposed to be working on partition fences but the wind is blowing 20 mph.

Same winds here sometimes harder gusts. I was out felling trees and decided they could stand there another day or 2 without any problem.

Looks like you are set up to get some rain, kind of the same weather pattern we had in the spring.

mitch2":2cda3v52 said:
How many others are having that fall push to get things done? Or are we procrastinators? I don't feel like we are, but every fall, it seems like we have a big push. UGH.

Michele

Every year it's a race to beat the glacial progress Michele. I personally don't view it as procrastination, are you really supposed to install tank heaters, clean out gardens, winterize equipment, etc...... in July? :shock:

BTW you guys really worked your butts off! :nod:

MistyMorning":1b0tz58j said:
mitch2":1b0tz58j said:

Michele

Every year it's a race to beat the glacial progress Michele. I personally don't view it as procrastination, are you really supposed to install tank heaters, clean out gardens, winterize equipment, etc...... in July? :shock:

BTW you guys really worked your butts off! :nod:

In Minnysoota why do you ever remove the tank heater?

Jogeephus":1xgut4vy said:
1982vett":1xgut4vy said:

For me, Wednesday is a day that not much gets done. A buddy of mine and I go to the local auction sale, eat lunch and then watch the cows sell. Getting pretty sad around here, middle age cows 5 and 6 months bred are going to slaughter @ 35 - 45 cents. Don't even want to think what calves are doing. :(

Anyway, back on topic, I know the uphill walk, seems like it is uphill on the way up and uphill on the way back sometimes. When I was gone 10 or more hours working for a paycheck, lots of things just didn't get looked after as they should or was just left undone. Especially during Mom's last days and then shortly after Dad's. Did lots of feeding in the dark. Then, when I had a day when all the wheels fell off I didn't just loose that day, but several more because I was working during the day and trying to ranch after work. It got so bad that when I woke up in the morning I was instantly POed. Had one of the shortest tempers around and it didn't take much for it to blow. Finally had the courage to let the job go. It's been 3 1/2 years and breaking down cutting hay isn't near the "end of the world" problem that it used to be. For the first year or so after I quit work I had plenty of things to do. The only problem, and it still exists, was everything I did or needed doing also required a substantial amount of materials or parts. Kind of needed to get a job to pay for all the repairs. Anyway, the essential things have been taken care of and now I still try to do at least one small project each day or make progress on a large one. I have to say some days that project is pretty small cause now I also take time to enjoy living a little each day.

Jogeephus":ug87xgcr said:
1982vett":ug87xgcr said:

Kind of like hubby's philosophy:

The more you have to do, the more you get done.

Now that is one DEEP statement that has haunted my days for years.

It kind of goes with another of his philosophy's that I downright abhor:

If you haven't COMPLETED the job/goal; you haven't done anything....

Do you know how many times I have set out to do things on a list, and can only get so far for various reasons, like I may not be strong enough, I didn't have the right part, I ran out of daylight, etc and at those various times, have gone onto another item on the list.

And when hubby asks me "what did you get done" .... partiality does not count. :mad:

Anyway, I feel like farming is one of the great rewards in life and it is a privilege if you are able to do it. There is little work in life that you can have a great feeling of accomplishment over like you can with farming. I think it is because nothing with farming is immediate. You have to wait for that calf, you have to wait for the rain, you have to wait for the crop to grow. That wait really brings great joy, when all your hard work can pay off.

Now if us farmers could get a bit of payoff in the wallet, things would be right with the world.

Michele

MistyMorning":lsl9jmgg said:
are you really supposed to install tank heaters, clean out gardens, winterize equipment, etc...... in July? :shock:

apparently ;-)

Michele

dun":1s5c26fe said:
Jogeephus":1s5c26fe said:
1982vett":1s5c26fe said:

The trouble is you don;t walk downhill, you slide. As long as the top of the hill is in front of you. you have no where to go but up!

Not exactly cause if you look over your shoulder you will see you could fall backwards and lose all the ground you've made and have to start all over again. I've personally accomplished this myself with one single error in judgement. :oops: Its been said, "there is little distance between the seat of a limousin and a seat on the curb". These two things have kept the shirt tail off my back for the quite some time.

Jogeephus":1fv45uf0 said:
Not exactly cause if you look over your shoulder you will see you could fall backwards and lose all the ground you've made and have to start all over again.
Sounds like you have hunted the sandy mountains in the desert. There may be rock under the sand but I've never found it. It's a case of one step of progress for every 5 steps you take, ON A GOOD DAY.

mitch2":3i0xnu3b said:
Anyway, I feel like farming is one of the great rewards in life and it is a privilege if you are able to do it. There is little work in life that you can have a great feeling of accomplishment over like you can with farming. I think it is because nothing with farming is immediate. You have to wait for that calf, you have to wait for the rain, you have to wait for the crop to grow. That wait really brings great joy, when all your hard work can pay off.
Now if us farmers could get a bit of payoff in the wallet, things would be right with the world.

Michele

THAT is the payoff in my opinion...the privilege and the freedom to do this type of work and love it. As you can tell by my quote " All good things take time" it is especially true with farming/ranching. And the payoff in the wallet... seems like the farmer is always taking it on the chin, instead of in the wallet.

the truth is you never really get your fall list completed.because something else always comes up.so you always stay behind to some extent.

Latest posts