so, she calved, and....

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice calf MM . Glad to see you are taking the mix up well .I could learn from your example, accepting something that can't be changed anyway and looking on the bright side .

Larry

Well MM at least your calf is big enough to have value. 3 weeks ago I bought 2 Jersey springers both registered bred to sexed semen from Semex bull named Senior, supposed to be 91% chance of heifer calves. 1st one calved no problem heifer, nice calf, 2nd one calves week later BLACK BULL calf. Now Purebred Jersey calves are always reddish tan when born get thier color later if they are going to have any, so I'm scratchin my head. Called the guy I got them from, good friend, he said he would look into it as they were at a neighbors when they got bred. He called yesterday seems that that guy had a nice black heifer calf born out of one of his Holstein cows. Ooops he must have switched the semen when he bred them so Steve is going to give me the remaining 3 shots of sexed semen to make it right. I sold the black bull calf and got $3 after trucking. not much value in a 62 lb crossbred bull calf. But good news is momma is doing well and giving 55 lbs right out of the starting gate. Good luck with your little guy!

Dun took the words outta my mouth...kinda..:) I too couldnt think of the PC way to say it..

There always been a little voice in the back of my mind when AI-ing anything...is this really from the animal I wanted?

I would sure be wanting an explaination~ Poor Angus breeder is somewhere cussing a bluesreak right now! :)

MM,
That calf looks so cute. He is a health baby and momma is looking good to. At least you now know she is a happy momma that can do the job.

Hope you find out about the possible mix up.

Now, get some sleep ;)

Any healthy calf is a blessing. Let him grow up a bit and then decide what to do...plenty of time before school states in the fall.
Didn't the tech save the straw for you...I have a coffee cup full of them on my desk, don't know why, just there but at least I know who has been used.
O'l Boss cow put horns on her cald this year, first one with them. Strange when the right pair of genes that are floating around hook-up. Nice calf....Dave Mc

Dave -- I was away at college last fall when she was bred, and I have no idea what became of that straw. I think in the future I'll insist on having that straw after breeding. :lol:

Depending on who the sire of this calf is... who knows? he might make someone a nice 4H steer project next year. My vet generally has some pretty good bulls in the tank at his clinic. If not, he'll taste pretty good in our freezer, I think. ;-)

Dale -- sounds like you actually did pretty good with that deal. Not ideal of course, but there's potentially three Jersey heifers you get to make it right. Some extra credit at the vet clinic would be nice in my case. I'm going to think about it for a few days before I go talk to my vet... going now or a week from now won't make a bit of difference.

Anyone know how to get DNA testing done on a calf and what kind of costs are involved? with dogs I just did a cheek swab, horses I think it's a few strands of mane hair. What's it involve with cows? I probably ought to be certain about the calf's sire before I talk to my vet.

FWIW, the cow in my avatar is about 80% white and when bred to an angus bull, threw a calf that looked like this...

So had I bred a straight angus heifer to that predominantly white Holstein bull with sexed semen, I should have had a calf that looked mostly Holstein. (Which means there may be some angus breeder out there who is actually quite happy!) And in this case, the calf would have been 3/4 Holstein... and should have been mostly white, to be honest.

The more I think about it the more certain I am that this calf is NOT sired by that Holstein bull.

You seem to be taking this very well. I would think it would be quite a disappointment After all your planning and getting the sexed semen on a specific bull, a black bull calf would seem to set back your breeding program a couple of years. :( You might want to talk to the vet ASAP, because your straw might still be in his tank. Good luck and don't be afraid to stand up for yourself here.

milkmaid":31zss4tm said:
FWIW, the cow in my avatar is about 80% white and when bred to an angus bull, threw a calf that looked like this...

So had I bred a straight angus heifer to that predominantly white Holstein bull with sexed semen, I should have had a calf that looked mostly Holstein. (Which means there may be some angus breeder out there who is actually quite happy!) And in this case, the calf would have been 3/4 Holstein... and should have been mostly white, to be honest.

The more I think about it the more certain I am that this calf is NOT sired by that Holstein bull.

I'd be wondering about the Angus bull that you bred that cow to. That steer should have been solid black. The Holstien breed has the recessive spotting gene, so when bred to a solid colored breed, the resulting calf should be solid colored. It will carry 1 spotting gene, and 1 solid gene.

Incidentally, your solid black calf could have resulted from breeding that heifer to a Holstein bull. Your heifer is Ss (1 solid and 1 spotting gene). If she was bred Holstein, the bull would have been ss (2 spotting genes). With that cross you run a 50% chance of having a solid calf and a 50% chance of having a spotted calf. As for how much white the calf would have had, that depends on another set of genes altogether.

The spotting gene works the same way as the red gene. Red is recessive to black, and spots are recessive to solid.

Not saying that there couldn't have been a mistake with the semen (after all it should have been a heifer) but that you could have had a solid black 3/4 Holstein.

Frankie -- well, no use crying over spilt milk, so to speak, but I WILL get to the bottom of this. The greatest loss is monetary, since I'd planned all along to sell the calf. I'd never calve a Holstein springer out unless I had a dairy; they're worth far too much $$$ to keep.

I'm currently waiting for a response from Select Sires as to DNA testing. I'm presuming Classic has a DNA record on file, and he'd have to or else there'd be no point in my DNA testing the calf. I just need to figure out how to test the calf and have it compared to Classic's DNA record.

Randi -- it's pretty common for angus/hol crosses to have a bit of white on their underline (often udder and navel), so that wasn't a surprise. The surprise on that calf in the pic was that he had white on his face; I hadn't seen that before. Seen the white tail on half angus animals, but not the white head markings. (BTW, the sire to that black/white calf in the pic is also the sire to my #12 heifer that just calved.) Regardless of the genetics of it, I've never seen a straight Holstein that didn't have at least one white hoof (and usually all four), where that steer calf didn't have any white on his legs.

All the 3/4 Holstein calves I've seen have been marked up like a straight Holstein, so that was what I was expecting #12 to have. However, after I get this lil bugger checked, I may take back everything I said if he ends up being 3/4 Holstein. :lol: I'm not expecting that though.

milkmaid":196qbwk9 said:
Randi -- it's pretty common for angus/hol crosses to have a bit of white on their underline (often udder and navel), so that wasn't a surprise. The surprise on that calf in the pic was that he had white on his face; I hadn't seen that before. Seen the white tail on half angus animals, but not the white head markings. (BTW, the sire to that black/white calf in the pic is also the sire to my #12 heifer that just calved.) Regardless of the genetics of it, I've never seen a straight Holstein that didn't have at least one white hoof (and usually all four), where that steer calf didn't have any white on his legs.

All the 3/4 Holstein calves I've seen have been marked up like a straight Holstein, so that was what I was expecting #12 to have. However, after I get this lil bugger checked, I may take back everything I said if he ends up being 3/4 Holstein. :lol: I'm not expecting that though.

The white on his face was what I was getting at. I know there are Angus that have a bit of white on their underline, and so it is not surprising that a Angus x Hol would have that. But they should not have any more white than that, possibly some on the feet, although I would expect very little.

No, I kinda doubt that 'he' is out of the holstein sire. With a 3/4 holstein you should see some white on the belly anyways, especially since mama has it.

The calf is cute. I probably wouldn't be too disappointed if it happened here as long as we could sell the calf. Is this heifer the only one you used sexed semen? Why did you choose her to have the sexed semen? Just curious. if it turns out the calf isn't what it was suppose to be, you could tell the breeding company they may work something out like free semen or something to that nature.

L Weir -- I had a second (half sibling) heifer that I attempted to breed with sexed semen and later to a beef bull with unsexed semen, but couldn't get her to settle. Don't have time for subfertile or infertile cows so she took a trip to the auction. I bred #12 with sexed semen because 1) I wanted a Holstein heifer calf, and 2) it's recommended to only use sexed semen on heifers, not cows. Also, I often have quite a few animals that are AI'd, but very few that I calve out. All Holstein heifers are sold as springers, and it isn't a good economical choice to breed heifers with sexed semen that will be running through the dairy sale and only are classified as "bumped and sound". Figured I'd just make myself a new nurse cow out of this crossbred heifer and get a good calf out of the deal... things don't always go as planned, do they? :p

Texas Rancher -- that type of fence borders one side of one pasture that meets the neighbor's property. He has a significant portion of his land fenced with the jack fence; it's sure nice to look at but a pain to repair when needed. Seems like I'm always having to replace rails, and once I had a bull (on my side) climb over and get into the neighbor's pasture. Kinda like a ladder, the way it's built. LOL. Never had an animal get hurt on it. It's okay, but if I were choosing what type of fence I were putting up I wouldn't use that style.

Uh huh TN... but I don't need a company that tests angus, gelbvieh, and salers...

I need one that tests Holsteins :p ...and specifically, one that has the DNA profile for that Holstein bull on file. Does me no good to have the calf tested but not be able to compare the results with his (supposed to be) sire's DNA.

Just got the response I was waiting for from Select Sires:

• Yes, 7HO6512 Classic is part of our parentage panel with Igenity. http://www.igenity.com/dairy/profile/Pa ... ation.aspx This is the website to show you what is done. However, you can contact your Select Sires representative to have a tissue sample collected and sent off for parentage verification.

MM all of our Holsteins are DNA'd they have to be to sell et calves. We just take hair from the tail make sure it is clean and dry ,pull a wad out ensuring that the follicles are intact. They usually like 10-15 strands. Seal them in an envelope. Ours go off to Holstein Canada.

They will ask you for the registration numbers of the dam and sire. It costs 45 dollars and is a simple process. I do my beef bulls the same way but send the samples to a testing company. In your case they will just test the sires DNA to match.

They will give you a history back on all that it was tested against and either confirm or deny a DNA match.