• angus

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • crossbreeds

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crossbreed curt

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my second calf. Which breed should should I pick. I really want herfords but black cows are doing better at the sale barns. What one do you think. Any other breeds you like.You can tell me anthings worth trying. :cboy:

If you want Herfords then get herfords. If i don't like the looks of eating my grass it ain't going to eat my grass. I like Fullblood Limousin.

Are you in for the long haul? Get the breed that will thrive in your climate, on your grass, and deliver the calves that fetch the most nickels. I want cows with a comformation that will last years and years. I want cows that will produce milk when the temp is over 100 degrees day after day in the summer here, without the cow's BCS going in to the tank. For me that is Brangus, but any breed of cow with some ear can cut the mustard.

Your climate and feed sources usually dictates which breeds you will want to consider. There are infinite combinations of conditions. There are even more opinions, but a few examples would be:

If you are in the south where average temperatures remain high and typically parasite loads are harder to control then a Brahma cross animal handles this well. Brahman have more blood vessels closer to the surface and therefore dissipates heat more readily. They evolved with parasites and have developed resistance. (Brahma/Angus Brangus, Brahma Hereford Braford, etc.)

If you are in the southwest where a cow really has to work hard to make a living and has to be efficient with feed and roughage, then you might consider crossing a little Longhorn in your stock. Where foraging and terrain is tough Longhorn crosses do well.

If you have accessible pastures and easy feeding then you might consider a continental breed like a Simmental, Saler, Charlais, etc., cross. Typically, you will get a bigger frame, bigger cow, bigger calf, but the feed inputs are higher too. The cow needs more forage and, the catch, more winter feed/hay.

In any case Black Angus (English breeding) and Black Angus crosses are the trend and buyers tend to pay a little more for Angus influenced calves. It is mostly due to the belief that the Black Angus cattle have made the most advancements in carcass quality and breeding ( right or wrong that is the trend). Today, you will find many producers breeding enough Black Angus into their stock to keep the color black to attract the higher bidders. Black color is dominant so it is not hard. Many producers do well with Black Angus alone.

Our example is we run on thousands of acres of irrigated bottom ground and hundreds of acres of mountain pasture that is not too difficult to navigate. We want to wean big calves and often wean and feed calves into the winter. Easy feeding, quality and quantity of cheap feed is not an issue for us. It gets cold here (It snowed all but two months last year, but summers can also get into the hundreds for a few weeks at a time; mountains of NE Oregon). So, what we do is cross Red Angus, Black Angus, and add a dash of Saler. I really like the feed efficiency of the Red Angus, the carcass values of the Black Angus, and the pelvis and milk of the Saler. We also deal with many predators, to include wolves now, and the Saler has no patience for threats to their calves. Our combination does lead to a fairly large framed cow, but we can afford it and enjoy large calves for it.

That being said, you will find as many opinions as producers. The best bet is to do a little research about what works best for your area. The driving force should be to run most efficient cow for your conditions while trying to balance what is profitable with what is practical.

id look at the downsides to each bred as well and see what issues they have and which ones youre able to deal with...some are temperment ..others are bad baggers or have undesireable qualities for carcass and soem are just more desireable cuz they bring more moeny or look cool...you can make most any of em work but ya gotta werk with em

I personally like Angus the best because it is what I have always had, but Herefords are alright too. It really depends what you want to use the animal for. If you are raising solely beef animals, crossbred is the way to go because of hybrid vigor. But if you want to show or raise purebred stock that's obviously out of the question! :)

arkcowman":2i3f4y9u said:
You could do both later. Breed a Herford bull to some Angus cows and get yourself some Black Baldies !

Even better would be a Red ANgus bull on some Herefords or vice versa

skyline":8ysb6uzf said:
Where are you and what are your plans for the calf?
Ditto
I really don't understand why people don't want to include than info. and ask this type of question, but I guess they feel they have their reasons.
Given there is no location or any other info. I would have to say Hereford as they will adapt to most environments.

at the point where youve only got 2 ya might as well buy what ya wanna look at cuz what the market is bringin really dont mean beans if yer only gonna sell one a yr.

As I have stated many times a man should run red cows they are cheaper to buy as you are not falling into the current trend on black. You can change your calf crop colors by changing the bull only, want black calves put a homo black bull on them, Yellow calves a Char, red a Hereford or Red Brangus. Over the years I have seen the best cow breed and color change several times and it will happen again. Remember there are not any bad breeds just bad management practices by cattlemen trying to make cattle work in enviroments they were not selectively bred for.This is like the EPD trap man and nature has been selectiely breeding cattle for thousands of years, EPD's came along 40 years ago. EPD's are a tool and are getting better as the years past, but you still have since the garden of Eden DNA in the gene pool. Also the best selling calves per pound for the last several years have been high yeller baldies in our area. If you are commercial you are looking for quality pounds a crossbred calf will weigh 10% more at weaning than a straight bred a 3 way cross will weigh 20% more at weaning.

Funny thing :frowns: Curt won't learn a thing from a thread like this. It's all my color my breed is best type thing.

You're only 11 years old if I remember correctly from another thread? At your age you still have a lifetime ahead of you to shape your ideal herd. At the moment you need something easy doing that you love looking at that will develope your love for cattle even further. Without that love for cattle it would be awfully didifult to make a success of it in the future.

You already said you like herefords, why not get a few herefords, they are very easy going generally and you can still breed them to any other breed bull to experiment.

Caustic Burno":5gjkfy9s said:
As I have stated many times a man should run red cows they are cheaper to buy as you are not falling into the current trend on black. You can change your calf crop colors by changing the bull only, want black calves put a homo black bull on them.

This fall I sold most of my bred black heifers and bought back rwf cows. My wife could not understand how you could haul in a load of blacks, bring back a load of mellow rwf, and still have $340/head left. Even when you adjust for age there is still at least a $50 per head difference.

The sad thing was the guy that bought most of the black heifers wanted 4 or 5 more after the auction, but when I said I had rwf and bwf at home (that will wean more pounds per cow per year than straight blacks) he had no interest. :(

Caustic Burno":3fsfclyt said:
As I have stated many times a man should run red cows they are cheaper to buy as you are not falling into the current trend on black. You can change your calf crop colors by changing the bull only, want black calves put a homo black bull on them, Yellow calves a Char, red a Hereford or Red Brangus. Over the years I have seen the best cow breed and color change several times and it will happen again. Remember there are not any bad breeds just bad management practices by cattlemen trying to make cattle work in enviroments they were not selectively bred for.This is like the EPD trap man and nature has been selectiely breeding cattle for thousands of years, EPD's came along 40 years ago. EPD's are a tool and are getting better as the years past, but you still have since the garden of Eden DNA in the gene pool. Also the best selling calves per pound for the last several years have been high yeller baldies in our area. If you are commercial you are looking for quality pounds a crossbred calf will weigh 10% more at weaning than a straight bred a 3 way cross will weigh 20% more at weaning.

yeah what he said...i was tryin to say that jsut didnt :???: :???: :???:

mnmtranching":1zf58tdb said:
Funny thing :frowns: Curt won't learn a thing from a thread like this. It's all my color my breed is best type thing.

Hmmm, I was just thinking this was an excellent thread, offering many options. RanchManager gave an excellent summary with "examples" including Brahma, Longhorn, Black Angus, Red Angus, Saler.

Caustic Burno followed your post with options including red cows with black angus, charolais, Hereford, Brangus. Others kicked in ideas to consider - nobody's forcing anyone. If one isn't proud of what they've got, maybe they aren't doing too well.

Curt, you're 11 years old? Good for you! At this age, having an interest in anything other than video games is great. You can't go wrong.

Latest posts