So long and good riddance ...

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
With a combination of profits vs work/expenses.. health issues I have decided to maybe keep only 5 cows it's been a really tough decision as I had decided to only keep 20 Mama's I just sold a big group last week I need to drop back and punt and focus on taking it easy for a while. It's much easier to fool with rentals.

Bright Raven":3e7vxy6q said:
Good. You have to put health first. Living is an uphill battle.

It is so I need to focus on the kids there almost grown I spend more time with and working for the cows than the kids .. maybe I'll get a pontoon boat and fish alot

I'm sorry to hear about your poor health. It sounds like, however, that you have a good plan.

Sounds like a good decision! you'll still have a few cows to satisfy the "urge". I think spending more time with your kids, while you can, while they want to, is great! I don't think you'll ever say to yourself "I never should have spent so much time with my kids".

Take care of yourself Sky.

Workinonit Farm":2yheso3u said:
I think spending more time with your kids, while you can, while they want to, is great! I don't think you'll ever say to yourself "I never should have spent so much time with my kids".

Absolutely! My daughter is 20 and in college. She still likes to spend time with 'ol dad. Who knows how long that will last. Sometimes she would call me over the summer and ask if I wanted to come spend time with her. Unless I had something really pressing, the tractor stayed parked and I was on my way. I figure, what will I really regret down the road; that I spent time with my daughter or that I mowed pasture on Tuesday instead of Monday?

herofan":2io6rdml said:
Workinonit Farm":2io6rdml said:
I think spending more time with your kids, while you can, while they want to, is great! I don't think you'll ever say to yourself "I never should have spent so much time with my kids".

Absolutely! My daughter is 20 and in college. She still likes to spend time with 'ol dad. Who knows how long that will last. Sometimes she would call me over the summer and ask if I wanted to come spend time with her. Unless I had something really pressing, the tractor stayed parked and I was on my way. I figure, what will I really regret down the road; that I spent time with my daughter or that I mowed pasture on Tuesday instead of Monday?

:nod: :nod:

Hate to hear this buddy but know you have other irons in the fire as well. Enjoy the extra time with those beautiful kiddos and get your health in order. Blessings to you and the family.

TexasBred":2t293cbk said:
Hate to hear this buddy but know you have other irons in the fire as well. Enjoy the extra time with those beautiful kiddos and get your health in order. Blessings to you and the family.

Yes sir other irons in the fire are doing well I figure im sacrificing time with my kids it needs to be for a good dang reason and lucrative meaning something that is primary income not a expensive hobby. I will have a few left to fool with. I was planning on selling most anyway. I figure 15 months to make 170.00 avg per head isn't worth the bs.

greybeard":3aj6m6or said:
I'll give you 6 months at it and you'll be so bored you jump right back in.

I'll have some to keep pasture at the house down everything else will be cut for hay besides I make more off hay than cattle.

skyhightree1":2r37bv5o said:
With a combination of profits vs work/expenses.. health issues I have decided to maybe keep only 5 cows it's been a really tough decision as I had decided to only keep 20 Mama's I just sold a big group last week I need to drop back and punt and focus on taking it easy for a while. It's much easier to fool with rentals.

Completely understand where you're coming from. I just had a few more front numbers on the odometer roll over before revaluation.

Might as well quit hunting it's a loosing proposition for sure. And once you add dog feed and maintenance in you might as well get another horse or two.

True Grit Farms":1agxo3ue said:
Might as well quit hunting it's a loosing proposition for sure. And once you add dog feed and maintenance in you might as well get another horse or two.

I sold most of my dogs earlier this year I only have 10 instead of in the 30's I just don't have enough hours in the day to do it all. NO MORE HORSES

Caustic Burno":rkdvhfn5 said:
skyhightree1":rkdvhfn5 said:

Completely understand where you're coming from. I just had a few more front numbers on the odometer roll over before revaluation.

Its crazy once u come to the realization you don't need the cattle they need you makes things better. Its nice having them but not to the point of you spend more hours with them than anything.

skyhightree1":1zaqs2sm said:
Caustic Burno":1zaqs2sm said:
skyhightree1":1zaqs2sm said:

Its crazy once u come to the realization you don't need the cattle they need you makes things better. Its nice having them but not to the point of you spend more hours with them than anything.
Real cows only need food and water, not a baby sitter.

True Grit Farms":1oyhn7xs said:
skyhightree1":1oyhn7xs said:
Caustic Burno":1oyhn7xs said:

I count mine twice a day and check fences once a day and the spraying of fence lines working them spraying and treating for flies putting out mineral all that crap

skyhightree1":1vg8iuzz said:
True Grit Farms":1vg8iuzz said:
skyhightree1":1vg8iuzz said:

I count mine twice a day and check fences once a day and the spraying of fence lines working them spraying and treating for flies putting out mineral all that crap

Well nobody can accuse you of not being a hands on cattleman that's for sure. You seem to have way more labor inputs than I do. How many cows were you running for it to be so much work?

For the health thing try to walk 35-40 minutes a day hard and watch the carbs. Before you know it you will be a slim, trim working machine and feel like 20 again. I don't blame you on the cattle as at current prices compared to the input cost not a lot there. I am with Kenny if and when the Government ID tagging is required it will be the final nail, unless monetarily it improves drastically. I can make easier and better money I believe other ways with a lot less time.

willow bottom":1tb59g5q said:
Well nobody can accuse you of not being a hands on cattleman that's for sure. You seem to have way more labor inputs than I do. How many cows were you running for it to be so much work?

a couple hundred at one point but I have been selling down for a while. I also raised bottle babies.

Latest posts