So it's swine flu now...

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
So I was perusing the news website and came across the new Swine flu found in Mexico. Definitely a zoonotic disease but I'm unsure what other animals besides pigs it affects. I guess we will see if the world has learnt after the bird flu and horse flu and actually put in preventative measures to limit the spread. Here's the article link I was looking at if anyone is interested

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 552841.htm

2 more cases confirmed in British Columbia. The stupid thing is on the news they were interviewing college kids that were on their way to Mexico for holidays and the kids said "Na we're not worried we're all healthy and as long as you don't drink the water you'll be OK besides we are going to drink a lot of beer and tequila,, that should kill it."

:shock: :?

Me, I am going to stay in my own little bubble ,and if someone sneezes or coughs around me I will high tail it out of there.. :nod:

Just heard on CNN news that they are recommending people neither kiss nor hang onto "used" Kleenex. I have to wonder "Who are these people kissing and reusing Kleenex? :???: " Figured it was you Canadians. :lol2: Heads up hd! ;-)

virus seems to be a combo of swine and bird flu........ worse in Mexico......... stupid kids are gonna bring it back.... I'm paranoid
already,washing my hands --may start wearing a mask..

hillsdown":q2z4v6hy said:
The stupid thing is on the news they were interviewing college kids that were on their way to Mexico for holidays and the kids said "Na we're not worried we're all healthy and as long as you don't drink the water you'll be OK besides we are going to drink a lot of beer and tequila,, that should kill it."

:shock: :?

Me, I am going to stay in my own little bubble ,and if someone sneezes or coughs around me I will high tail it out of there.. :nod:

Those kids are exactly the age group this flu is killing. And there are already good reasons not to go to Mexico, unless you like the chance of a gun battle. Still, Tequila will kill about anything.

CNN (this morning) - "23-month-old Texas child confirmed as first U.S. swine flu death, according to Richard Besser, acting director, CDC".

Certainly something to keep an eye on!

Guess who washed her hands about 230 time yesterday? I got kids who were just in Mexico over Easter and some who have been there since. They are freaking out over it. I am, too. It has been, touch wood, about twenty years since I had a full blown, in bed for a week wishing to die, flu, and I don't want it now. Both my kids had it about five years ago and I nursed them through it without catching it myself. Yesterday I had a headache and I was thinking, oh he77, here we go. I'm better today. I sure do hope that this isn't a pandemic thing, but it looks to be headed that way.

If anyone's gonna get it here, it will be Steve. He catches everything.

There's nothing I have less patience with than a sick man. :mad: Especially when I know that he isn't doing the things he should do to avoid this mess.

I was going to write about what I had read of this but when I reread my writing it sounded alarmist and pessimistic. So suffice it to say everyone be careful and wash your hands frequently.

Lammie":ndu74e4f said:
Guess who washed her hands about 230 time yesterday? I got kids who were just in Mexico over Easter and some who have been there since. They are freaking out over it. I am, too.

I'm sanguine about the chances of flu around me, but in your case I would be careful and wash my hands 231 times today. Bleach the shack!

john250":2tat2ea6 said:
Lammie":2tat2ea6 said:
Guess who washed her hands about 230 time yesterday? I got kids who were just in Mexico over Easter and some who have been there since. They are freaking out over it. I am, too.

I'm sanguine about the chances of flu around me, but in your case I would be careful and wash my hands 231 times today. Bleach the shack!

They just announced a Cleburne school shut down this a.m. That is in Lammie's backyard. She'll be running herself thru the car wash regularly now!

twistedxranch":zihicphe said:
Lammie":zihicphe said:
Guess who washed her hands about 230 time yesterday? I got kids who were just in Mexico over Easter and some who have been there since. They are freaking out over it. I am, too. It has been, touch wood, about twenty years since I had a full blown, in bed for a week wishing to die, flu, and I don't want it now. Both my kids had it about five years ago and I nursed them through it without catching it myself. Yesterday I had a headache and I was thinking, oh he77, here we go. I'm better today. I sure do hope that this isn't a pandemic thing, but it looks to be headed that way.

If anyone's gonna get it here, it will be Steve. He catches everything.

There's nothing I have less patience with than a sick man. :mad: Especially when I know that he isn't doing the things he should do to avoid this mess.

I doubt it will be a pandemic. The world health organization said that SARS was going to be a pandemic and that thing died before it even got started. I am more worried about ebola and the like. My mom cracked me up she called it pig fever LOL!. I wonder if this makes pork prices plummet? If so good news for us as beef prices will blow sky high.

I have a feeling it will. A lot of people wont realize that yo cant catch it from eating pork. in my opinion I still think its the media having a field day. Though i guess its better to be safe than sorry.

The last thing I heard about Cleburne is that there are no comfirmed cases and that the CDC is taking as long as 48 hours to confirm cases. They are TAKS testing, too, so that's a bad time to shut down.

We're still here and open for business as usual. We did have two teachers leave sick, though. We are asking all students who call in sick to give their symptoms in case we have to report.

I would rather just stay in school. Unless the state gives us a waver, we'd have to make up the days and I don't want to be out here until the middle of June.

twistedxranch":29zaz8z9 said:
I wonder if this makes pork prices plummet? If so good news for us as beef prices will blow sky high.
If pork prices plummet, the same amount of pork will be sold. It will just be cheaper. The price will match demand. Econ 101.

BeefmasterB":1ujvd9vn said:
CNN (this morning) - "23-month-old Texas child confirmed as first U.S. swine flu death, according to Richard Besser, acting director, CDC".

Certainly something to keep an eye on!

What Dr. Richard Besser, acting director failed to mention or it was possibly another failure of the media to correctly report facts on a major story, is the 23 month old child was from Mexico receiving treatment in the US.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090429/hl_ ... _usa_death

Twistedxranch-said" I am more worried about ebola and the like" I would be also if I contracted the disease because it has close to 95% mortality. However because of the high mortality it doesn't spread as bad as a low mortality disease because it kills its host too fast to be spread. Where as a low mortality disease such as swine flu can linger in its host and even sometimes not debilitate the host for days. Thus allowing the host to spread it into a lot of additional hosts. Additionally swine flu can mutate and change host even jump species which is troublesome when trying to contain it. I hope no one gets this disease and that it subsides soon.

I went by the grocery store yesterday and saw a couple of people wearing surgical masks. People are getting a littlel paranoid.....

People, get a grip!!!

I'm not saying you should ignore the the "thing", but put things in perspective! The media has whipped this totally out of proportion. :mad:

As of this morning, the CDC shows 91 confirmed cases in the US. I'm not even going to count the so called "US death", because it wasn't a US death. The child was visiting Brownsville from Mexico, got sick and was taken to Houston where the death occurred.

Listed below is the CDC's information for "regular" flu for this season. It list four different types of flu and the number of pediatric deaths.

National and Regional Summary of Select Surveillance Components
Data cumulative for the season
A (H1) - 6223
A (H3) - 750
A Unsub-type - 10266
B - 8686
Pediatric Deaths - 55

Ref: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluactivity.htm

Did you know there were 55 pediatric deaths this past winter from the normal flu? Is this information on the news every five minutes? No, because the CDC says this has been a "mild" flu season.

Would I be going to Mexico now? No. But I'm not going to lock myself in the basement for two months either.

Get a grip people!

Latest posts