So I had another one of them great ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

Sweet!
A little advice, When you put the motor on, put some rubber under a piece of wood and drill a hole big enough for the feet on the clamp to dig in really hard. Otherwise you risk pulling into the yard and having your daughter ask why she smells gas and your wife asking what happened to your motor. Those little light boats bounce quite a bit when you tow them...

cow pollinater":2u1j8ex7 said:
Sweet!
A little advice, When you put the motor on, put some rubber under a piece of wood and drill a hole big enough for the feet on the clamp to dig in really hard. Otherwise you risk pulling into the yard and having your daughter ask why she smells gas and your wife asking what happened to your motor. Those little light boats bounce quite a bit when you tow them...

This one is 19' long, 8' wide, 3/16" thick, 36" tall, and will have somewheres close to 600 ponies. Not that I've never pulled in the yard missing major boat components, but this probably won't be a job for plywood and rubber. :lol:

That's a heck of a project to take on! Looks like you are a man with a plan. How do you you like that spool gun? I'm thinking about getting one for my 252

ohiosteve":2r86ldua said:
That's a heck of a project to take on! Looks like you are a man with a plan. How do you you like that spool gun? I'm thinking about getting one for my 252

I'm not a fan of spool guns, but the 350P was down, and I wanted to get it tacked up. I suppose they are alright for small jobs... I think there is a push pull gun available for the 252, but I'm not sure of the cost difference. I'll TIG the majority of this one, since I might actually keep it.

littletom":1d252xhk said:
Put some pods on it

Probably won't be putting pods on an airboat, but I've put them on other boats I've built.
It's easy to see here why I'm a fan of TIG over MIG with aluminum.

Thanks, I very rarely have a need to weld aluminum, just thought it might be handy. I have a couple friends that are tig masters I'll probably just keep bugging them when I have an aluminum project. I have never been too impressed by the aluminum mig work I've seen.

ohiosteve":254tp6pt said:
Thanks, I very rarely have a need to weld aluminum, just thought it might be handy. I have a couple friends that are tig masters I'll probably just keep bugging them when I have an aluminum project. I have never been too impressed by the aluminum mig work I've seen.

You can make a good solid weld, but it's just dirty looking compared to TIG. I need to step my game up a little and get the pulse panel for my TIG machine. :nod:

Nice work! what grade of aluminum is it?

I built my front bumper out of 3/16th 5252 (or was it 5454?)... Friend of mine MIG'd it.. found out after trying it out on a piece of scrap I made a nicer weld than he did... took me 5 hours of grinding to get it fixed up.. then again it took 3 months of drafting before I was happy with it... paid off though, looks good, lightweight, and darned strong

I had it CNC plasma cut, and left hinge points everywhere I could rather than complete cuts.. made it far easier to put together and I didn't have to use a brake to bend it just right

Latest posts