So I bought a mineral mix supplement for my cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

whitewing

Reaction score
When I purchased it I asked the guy at the feed store how much to apply....."just sprinkle some on as you lay out the feed", was his reply. I was in a hurry so I figured that when all else fails, just read the directions for proper application. Guess what....there are none. Venezuela.

I'm doing my own mix for summer feed (our dry season) for my cattle and the cattle of others and would like to add some of this mineral mix to my feed mix. For the record my feed mix contains ground corn, ground grain sorghum, ground corn husks, ground corn cobs, 'gallanaza' (which is composted chicken litter) and animal salt.

The stated analysis of the mineral mix is as follows:

Calcium 13.0%
Phosphorous 7.0%
Iodine 0.008%
Copper 0.315%
Cobalt 0.014%
Iron 0.17%
Zinc 0.16%
Manganese 0.225%
Magnesium 0.125%
Sulfur 0.95%
Salt 25%

Any suggestions as to the percentage by weight of this stuff I should toss into the mixer?

Recommended feeding rate will be 4 oz. per head per day. Just figure out (Or estimate) how many cows you can feed with the grain mix and put 4 oz. of mineral in for each cow.

BTW: Been missing you. Hope everything is ok down your way. :nod:

TexasBred":221qd2ot said:
Recommended feeding rate will be 4 oz. per head per day. Just figure out (Or estimate) how many cows you can feed with the grain mix and put 4 oz. of mineral in for each cow.

BTW: Been missing you. Hope everything is ok down your way. :nod:

Thanks TB. While I know free choice is always an option for minerals, for the material I'm selling I wanted to be able to honestly say that XYZ minerals have been added to the mix.....just didn't want to overdo it. With all the disruptions in business going on here, it's getting more and more difficult to find commercial feeds and with summer now kicking in, the demand is there. The same folks who buy my bales for their horses are buying feed mixes to supplement their cattle.

When time permits I'll post an update on my activities......I've been a busy boy. :cboy:

Whitewing....for when you get back:

Put about 50 lbs. of the mineral per 2000 lbs. of your TMR. This will give you the following minerals in the TMR.

Ca .90%
Phos .70%
Mg. .30%
Zinc 180.00 ppm
Manganese 120.00 ppm
Copper 45.00 ppm
And for SirLoin, NCLiz2, Medicine Woman and NCLiz3 the sulfur content will be .088% ;-) :lol:

I'm sure the mineral also has some vitamins but you didn't list them. Best Wishes. ;-)

TexasBred":1ems73c3 said:
Whitewing....for when you get back:

Put about 50 lbs. of the mineral per 2000 lbs. of your TMR. This will give you the following minerals in the TMR.

Ca .90%
Phos .70%
Mg. .30%
Zinc 180.00 ppm
Manganese 120.00 ppm
Copper 45.00 ppm
And for SirLoin, NCLiz2, Medicine Woman and NCLiz3 the sulfur content will be .088% ;-) :lol:
LMAO. I definitely caught that TB
I'm sure the mineral also has some vitamins but you didn't list them. Best Wishes. ;-)