So how do you do it

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
That time of year again. Trying to get rid of the hay remnants left all over the pasture. Trying bushogging them to grind them up and dragging them out this year. That doesn't work for squat either! Was dry here this year so at least no mud circles really to deal with. I wish I had the mechanical genius to build essentially a heavy duty hay Tedder gizmo that would kick it out been thinking on that most of the day while trying to make progress. Would like to keep the organic matter on the field just spread out so it doesn't kill the grass. Unfortunately with work and cattle spread out on a few farms unrolling isn't an option, I wish it was.

I know we talk about this every year but anybody got any fresh/ great ideas?

I feed in rings and move them every bale . In the spring I push up what's left into a pile and burn it.

I have a sacrifice field and move the rings. Once the field has been covered and plenty of organic is built up I level and reseed the field and use another field for feeding.

You are going to kill some grass with bale feeding. Some options are:

1) Feed better hay so there is less residue
2) Wait till residue composts
3) Switch to unrolling hay
4) Pick up residue clumps with grapple
5)

When I feed in rings..... move the rings each time and feed on dry natured ground. Anything left is up to Mother Nature to handle. After a few years it improves those non productive spots.

I see those on CL sometimes. I don't think it will do what you want tho. The roping arena up the road uses one--it rotates pretty slow.

That is what I am afraid of. Would like to have two of those wheels mounted on a twin spindle bushog frame. I think it would have to be powered to do what I want and it might not work even at that. I moved them every time I fed this year so no mud pits, and have my manure spread nice across the field but am afraid I have lost more grass than I will gain if I can't do something with this residue.

We had a considerably drier winter here than normal. Subsequently, I had way less hay waste. I didn't move my hay rings a half dozen times all year. I'd take a day every now and then, and make em clean up. I normally lay waste to about 3 acres of ground. I probably won't have to work up 3/4 of an acre this year. I never sow it down, just work it, and spray it a couple of times with 2 four d.

I unroll but I have also used a tedder. I am like Jo I feed the same place and will either disc in the old hay And replant burn or push in a pile pick up with 4n1 bucket move to the woods

I don't do anything but I also don't feed all winter in one spot. The grass will grow up through the layer of old hay just like it always does. Just adding some organic matter back to the soil.

Jogeephus":e56qna9k said:
I have a sacrifice field and move the rings. Once the field has been covered and plenty of organic is built up I level and reseed the field and use another field for feeding.

This is how we do it. This year we will have had about 35 head on 2+ acres for about 6 months. Will level and put something annual in for mid-summer forage when our cool season grasses slow some, then put our pasture mix in after a fall cover crop.

I don't do anything other than move the hay rings to fresh ground. My plan is to let the warm season grass come up through the uneaten hay. My plan is to feed on the sorriest ground I have and let the hay and manure build up the soil. Aesthetics are overrated.

Stocker Steve":vslig8ob said:
You are going to kill some grass with bale feeding. Some options are:

1) Feed better hay so there is less residue
2) Wait till residue composts
3) Switch to unrolling hay
4) Pick up residue clumps with grapple
5)
This year we are trying #4 so the ground can dry out underneath.Jury's still out on this.When ground's left "as is" after removing ring,some grass eventually grows, but ground doesn't firm up.

Push into piles and hopefully find a manure spreader for sale soon. Gonna sow the "winter feed lot" this year in summer annual for grazing

I pile it up with the loader for a few weeks then move it to my garden spot before discing and tilling.
Then drag haying area to smooth it out.

TexasBred":4682vru3 said:
I don't do anything but I also don't feed all winter in one spot. The grass will grow up through the layer of old hay just like it always does. Just adding some organic matter back to the soil.

That's how I do it too. And you're generally right about the spring grass coming back up through the uneaten hay, except for King Ranch bluestem. Feeding one round bale will kill it back and it will take years to recover.

I went to fence line feeders. Bale residue and the damage I was doing with the tractor just got crazy some years.

I pile all the manure and leftover hay near the feeder in the spring and use it to cover seed anyplace there is a bare patch in the fall. Put a hotwire around it and plant pumpkins and squash some years. They grow well.

Latest posts