Snowy Range Byway

Help Support CattleToday:

A/C is common in WY. Our house has hot water heat so we don't have central air, however.
We have a mini-split mounted on the wall in the living room. It works great. Doesn't take long to cool the rooms down.

The boiler is under our bedroom and that room gets warmer than I would like. I was considering one of the cube swamp coolers, but I'm not sure it would do much good.
I like those mini-split systems, they tend to work really well for one room.

Is the floor between your bedroom and boiler open. You could insulate the floor, that would help a little. I don't know if they would do much good either.

I like those mini-split systems, they tend to work really well for one room.

Is the floor between your bedroom and boiler open. You could insulate the floor, that would help a little. I don't know if they would do much good either.
Good idea. We will check that out!! Our mini split is pretty big btu wise and it cools our big living room and the dining room. The installer said we would be happier with too big vs too small. It has a Jet Mode that will cool everything down super-fast. Usually we keep it on the lowest fan bars possible.

Swamp coolers operate on a simple principle. Blow hot air across/through a wet surface. The water evaporates. To turn liquid water into water vapor (gas) requires BTU's (heat). Those BTU's come from the air and enter the water. Air gives up heat to the water to evaporate it and then the air is cooler. Same technology is used to cool chicken houses. A 500 foot long chicken house will have about 100 feet long and 5 foot high air inlet on each side of the house at one end. Those big air inlets have "cool cell pads" that the air passes through. A water pumps circulates water over the cool cell pads that the air flows through. Lots of fans at the far end of the house pulling air through the pads and out of the house. Drops the temperature a lot. Same principle with misting nozzles on a fan. But those will cause wet surfaces due to incomplete evaporation.

Air conditioners are rated in tons. One ton of air conditioning has the cooling power of a ton of ice melting which is 12,000 BTU's/hour. Typical house might have a 3 or 4 ton air conditioner. Any device that blows air over ice to cool will need a lot of ice. Years ago, a friend was thinking about hanging bags of ice in the cattle trailer to cool his show cattle for summer trips. I told him he would probably need to stop every hour and hang a few tons of ice. He gave up on that idea.

Latest posts