Snowplow Parenting

Help Support CattleToday:

I am a child of the mid-eighties (no, I do NOT consider myself a Millenial!) and have a 5 year old daughter. I was farm/ranch raised, and I plan to ensure my child can say the same. Do I work hard to make her life easier? Yes! She has her own dog, goats, horses and herd of cattle. She enjoys time spent on her own 4 wheeler and showing livestock all over. She also has her own shovels, rakes and brooms! She helps as much as I expect a child her age to. That means sweeping out the trailer after shows, washing her own show animals, keeping the barn tidy, feeding the dogs, ect. She is expected to pick up her room and any toys before she leaves the house, says please and thank you every time its appropriate, be polite and helpful. I feel she earns some of the things I have given her, others I give her because I can! Sure, I could work less and in turn have less to give her, but that is against the internal drive I have. I don't do what I do for the sake of others, but the happiness it brings to her...

I always like when were building a building for a customer and they ask why we're not doing something a certain way, I know they looked it up on u tube or Googled it and that's how they came across the question, I think there are some good things about it, but I'm not going to question someone that's been doing it for 35 years because of a video I just watched.

TIME is the most valuable thing we can give our children.

One of the best things a father can do for his children is love their mother.

Spoken with confidence like from an old hand, but as is often the case, "things are not as they seem".

haase said:
I always like when were building a building for a customer and they ask why we're not doing something a certain way, I know they looked it up on u tube or Googled it and that's how they came across the question, I think there are some good things about it, but I'm not going to question someone that's been doing it for 35 years because of a video I just watched.
Give the guy credit for taking an interest. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Questions are often the first step in learning.

Son of Butch said:
Questions are often the first step in learning.

So true and often overlooked. So many view it as a weakness. The day I stop asking questions and lose the desire to learn more is the day I might just as well jump in the 6' hole.

Has nothing to do with asking questions, I think that's great and will help answer anything I can, but I don't need to be questioned on why I'm doing something different than the way they think it should be done, if you can skin the cat better than no need to call me, if I hire something done and have a question I will ask, but I'm not going to question his way of doing it because I saw a video on u tube.

haase said:
Has nothing to do with asking questions, I think that's great and will help answer anything I can, but I don't need to be questioned on why I'm doing something different than the way they think it should be done, if you can skin the cat better than no need to call me, if I hire something done and have a question I will ask, but I'm not going to question his way of doing it because I saw a video on u tube.

I agree. That is why I would have a hard time being a contractor. Too many know-it-all's judging your competency. That is why I never work with others, either for pay or volunteer. I hire someone for a job, I expect them to be competent or I don't hire again, I leave them alone and judge the end results. I get asked to do something, I do it entirely myself and can be judged on the finished product. When people think they need to offer too many cents of their opinion on a job, I have been known many times to pick up my tools and walk away, which has always resulted in head scratching, comments being made and nothing getting done until I come back and finish the job by myself in peace. I am not your slave or your drinking buddy. And certainly don't need the 'company' - you are a distraction.

One of the biggest mistakes made in the school system to this very day is the idea of sharing and doing all things as a team. And my entire life, I wanted to be independent and do all my own projects 100% by myself. Well, people say you need to know how to work with others. BS. People need to grow a spine and be productive individuals, judged on their own merit. Problem is, many have no merit at all. They are just walking, talking pieces of useless flesh breeding more of the same.

Aaron said:
haase said:

I agree. That is why I would have a hard time being a contractor. Too many know-it-all's judging your competency. That is why I never work with others, either for pay or volunteer. I hire someone for a job, I expect them to be competent or I don't hire again, I leave them alone and judge the end results. I get asked to do something, I do it entirely myself and can be judged on the finished product. When people think they need to offer too many cents of their opinion on a job, I have been known many times to pick up my tools and walk away, which has always resulted in head scratching, comments being made and nothing getting done until I come back and finish the job by myself in peace. I am not your slave or your drinking buddy. And certainly don't need the 'company' - you are a distraction.

One of the biggest mistakes made in the school system to this very day is the idea of sharing and doing all things as a team. And my entire life, I wanted to be independent and do all my own projects 100% by myself. Well, people say you need to know how to work with others. BS. People need to grow a spine and be productive individuals, judged on their own merit. Problem is, many have no merit at all. They are just walking, talking pieces of useless flesh breeding more of the same.

Aaron, with that attitude your going to have a humbling awaking when health or age catches up with you.

True Grit Farms said:
Aaron said:
haase said:

Aaron, with that attitude your going to have a humbling awaking when health or age catches up with you.

And Father Time is undefeated.

haase said:

The problem you speak of I'm very familiar with. But the problem is the customer, not YouTube. You might as well be blaming bullet's for killing people. ........ it's just common sense. :D ..... maybe you should Google "common sense"..... ;-)

True Grit Farms said:
Aaron said:
haase said:

Can think of many cases of neighbor's, some alive, some long since rotted, where that is not the case. Maybe we are just fiercely independent around here. Holding hands really isn't a thing here.

Latest posts