Snowmageddon 2019

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
Big snow storm coming today! Supposed to get 4~6 inches starting around noon, with another round coming Sunday. People around here don't have a clue how to drive. The grocery store shelves were bare yesterday around 3. Extra bedding for the cows!

One of the reasons that I am glad I left that part of the world. I have seen people with their car chained up when there is half an inch of snow. On the other hand there will be people with 4 wheel drive pick ups doing 80 in a foot of snow. The store being emptied when a few inches of snow are predicted makes a person wonder what happens if there is a real disaster.

Our "local" news comes out of Portland (which ain't too local) and it looks like traffic and the roads are a mess. Hwy 205 by the airport is at a stand still. They said 6 inches in Camas and over a foot up the gorge. I guess we have 4 or 5 inches here. Our snow is really dry and the wind has been blowing so it is moving pretty good.

"Feeding" cows with a snowmobile now. They have a single serpentine path broke from the Richie water back to the bale grazing paddock. Looks good from the kitchen window, but wind chill can be a bitch.

Split some oak this AM. :banana: Works well at -20.

Stocker Steve said:
"Feeding" cows with a snowmobile now. They have a single serpentine path broke from the Richie water back to the bale grazing paddock. Looks good from the kitchen window, but wind chill can be a be nice.

Split some oak this AM. :banana: Works well at -20.

That is the best time to split wood, especially if it is twisted. Sawing, not so much. I learned that lesson trying to saw up a green frozen hickory. I could have cut up asphalt and it would not have been any harder on a chain.

No snow up here, was pretty darned windy all day, about 8F with 20mph wind put the chill down to about -15 to -20F..
We have some nice ice, cows have to walk carefully, they're pretty hungry too.. feeding 30% more than I did when it was around freezing and nice and they're cleaning it all up.

Lots and lots of snow UP here. Couple feet in the last week alone. 200+ inches of snowfall for the season. Snow is up over the fences, so have to keep the cattle fed so they don't try to wander at all.

8 more inches since last night and snowing hard!!

The calves have good bedding, and everyone plenty of Alfalfa.

Cleaning off the greenhouse roof is getting easier as the snow piles up around the perimeter. No ladder needed anymore! :lol:

My oldest son is an iron worker working in Seattle. They haven't worked in a week. Something about not wanting to walk on icy slippery things 14 stories in the air.

Latest posts