Snow Storm

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
here are some pics taken today after the storm that hit us yesterday.
blizzard2008043.jpg

Cows with Icy faces

blizzard2008013.jpg

Drift in front of shop

blizzard2008015.jpg

Buried fence line

blizzard2008026.jpg

Case Tractor

blizzard2008041.jpg

Coming first year heifer

I luv herfrds":dwz7en1r said:
here are some pics taken today after the storm that hit us yesterday.
blizzard2008043.jpg

Cows with Icy faces

Man 'o man!! I hope you have plenty of hay and and a way to get to them. That pic is hard to envision while I'm outside in a short sleeve shirt right now and others are walking around in shorts. It's gotta be tough up there.

Beef they got 2 round bales yesterday and they got 3 today. Will have to post the drifts we busted through to get the hay to them.

blizzard2008038.jpg

Drift

blizzard2008052.jpg

Steaming truck after busting through that drift.

blizzard2008064.jpg

Looking down towards the drift, truck hood covered with snow

blizzard2008047.jpg

Lost bale after bucking a drift.

It looks a lot like that around here too. Had to dig out all of our feed bunks, and plow some drifts to get to them. Is it as cold down there as it is here? We are about -30 C here now (About -20 F??) The cows were pretty chilly this morning and tonight we have a sever wind chill warning out. I think they are talking -40 to -45 (same thing in F and C) Had a heifer fall break through the ice, she's wet part way up her sides. Pretty chilly day for that. Hopefully she will huddle in amongst a bunch of others and warm up, we don't have anywhere warm to put her.

yep, that's pretty cold

That case tractor looks like it's supposed to ride on a pair of rails.. looks like an old steam locomotive!

we have an old Ford County tractor which is great for heavy snow

[youtube]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ehYl0e26vkA[/youtube]
*Edit*youtube link for it doesn't work, so if you care, http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ehYl0e26vkA

but we learned the hard way that you shouldn't swing the blade into reverse mode and plow that way, the tranny siezed up the reverse gear idler and we had to swap out the transmissions..DOH!

I don't have a current picture of the weather up here, but it's about like this from 3 years ago
xmastime2006018.jpg

xmastime2006019.jpg

xmastime2006016.jpg

Our tractor with the snow blower is in the shop with the drift in front. Have 2 trucks blocking it in.

Nesikep":1wo9jsp3 said:
yep, that's pretty cold

That case tractor looks like it's supposed to ride on a pair of rails.. looks like an old steam locomotive!

we have an old Ford County tractor which is great for heavy snow

[youtube]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ehYl0e26vkA[/youtube]

but we learned the hard way that you shouldn't swing the blade into reverse mode and plow that way, the tranny siezed up the reverse gear idler and we had to swap out the transmissions..DOH!

I don't have a current picture of the weather up here, but it's about like this from 3 years ago
xmastime2006018.jpg

xmastime2006019.jpg

xmastime2006016.jpg
What part of the world is that? It sure looks different than East Arkansas.

Our weather is the same here but we haven't had that much snow yet. Went I went to bed last night it was -34 and this morning the same. At around 2 pm we were at -31 and still holding. The wind makes it horrendous and I don't know how the cattle do it with the icicles hanging from their mouths and eyes. But they are all doing well, touch wood. The temps are not going to let up until Christmas and then we should get some temps in the teens. The cows are going through feed like crazy so I hope I rationed for that right when I was working out how many bales I need to survive until spring with keeping an extra 20 head above what I normally would.

For the first time ever my llama is shivering, I hope she is OK. The alpaca and horses are fine and they are all together but I have never seen her this cold.

That cold north west wind sure plays havoc on a log home though..brrrrr..

Stay warm everyone and may all the critters do well during this cold snap..

Lillooet BC, Canada :)

No, we don't live in igloos, and it doesn't look like this all year... our area set a canada wide all time temp record (high) back in 1996, 42.5C (108.5F).. (in the shade) and I had the good fortune of being in the middle of a field mixing cement in full sun

man yall are chilling me to the bone with all the snow pics.id hate having to feed in that stuff.but its oh so pretty to look at.

Latest posts