Snow out west??

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
How are you guys handling the winter?? I guess it should help the Wheat and grass pastures for spring.

Winter's not bad, snows good for the hay feilds and pasture in the spring, just so long as a chinook-like wind don't come up and dry everything up, which is a chance of happening.

Snow and drifts....folks have been getting huge drifts from that blizzard that passed thru Alberta and Saskatchewan (and I think BC got hit too), and I heard from a phone call from home that my dad had to do a lot of snow plowing with the tractor to get at the bales and get some trails set for the calves. He also had to unburry the straw bedding for them too. Glad they had some shelter to keep out of most of the bad stuff.

Heck, it's just the middle of January, which means the snow storms and winter ain't over yet!

Great snowshoeing season though, that's for sure! :D

Rumor around here that is there has been a large death loss going on. Either can't get hay or water to them

regenwether":159y1qin said:
Rumor around here that is there has been a large death loss going on. Either can't get hay or water to them

I could be wrong on this, but I think that is mostly in Colorado. They've been hit hard with a major snow storm every week since right before Christmas. Somehow they missed it this week, but the National Guard has been dropping hay to cattle that are stranded because of the snow for several weeks now.

http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-s ... &article=1

Looks like Texas, NM, Okla, Ks areas could be getting another one....

We've had one of the easiest winters in years-Been above normal temps most of the winter...A cold spell in Nov. and now one last week- but they are predicting above normal temps thru the 1st of Feb....We've had about a foot of snow in several snowstorms, but it usually mostly melted shortly after...

We're going to need some moisture- either in snow or spring rains to fill dams and get things growing this spring....

We only started feeding some of the cows last week after the cold spell hit- While this warm El Nino winter has been terrible for the Colorado, Ks folks its been great for our haystacks- as right in here in this part of Montana few even plan on grazing this late...