Snow melt, flooding... ISO Kayak.

Help Support CattleToday:

Lost 4 calves in a flood once. Only found one of them. Its going to take a while for you all to recover. I sure feel bad for every one in that mess.

We all think we've been struggling with all the rain, low prices, trying to pay the bills, etc. but what Nebraska is going through right now is devastating. Australia recently as well. Our prayers are with you all

Seeing all this sure makes me count my blessings. I just can't imagine what people are going thru. Been sending prayers for all those involved, but I sure wish I could do more right now. Hopefully, links will pop up for those who can do more than pray.

Water has receded and our roads and bridges are, for the most part... all compromised. Many of our highways are gone. Our bridges are unstable if they're still in tact. Drinking water has to be boiled.

I've been hearing some pretty amazing stories. Our Pastor said as waters rose, he saw HERDS of deer driving away from the water as if men were on horseback bringing them out of the trees.

We have (not personally) cows in the river on small islands that you can't rescue.

I'm not built for all this heartache and I've been thru a lot. Cattle aren't just a livelihood, you truly are their keeper. Not just an ear tag. You mourn their loss.

Last night, I met with a family that had their house swept away. Their 16 year old boy saved her and her husband. She said she'd not be here if he hadn't rescued them. I just can't imagine either of my boys at that age, seeing me or my husband being swept away by current and NOT being able to save them.

We lost a client, in his tractor. You may have seen him on social media in this aftermath. This has all became very personal although personally, we feel so lucky.

I have pulled some articles and photos on the internet concerning the flooding in Kansas and surrounding areas. It is as heartbreaking as the ones from Australia. I cannot imagine the heartache the farmers are feeling for the helplessness for the animals they could not help. And the families even in the towns that are being totally devastated by the water. Prayers to all and is there anything that anyone outside the area can do to help like when the fires that swept across the prairies in Kansas and surrounding states back a couple of years ago?

More rain in the forecast for that region it looks like. Missouri and Mississippi Rivers continue to flood and Miss. River in St. Joseph Mo is expected to crest Thursday at it 3rd highest level on record.

Nebraska Underwater

greybeard said:
More rain in the forecast for that region it looks like. Missouri and Mississippi Rivers continue to flood and Miss. River in St. Joseph Mo is expected to crest Thursday at it 3rd highest level on record.

Nebraska Underwater

Yes, all that water is going somewhere and it's not looking good for those southeast of us.

Pence went visited a short while ago in eastern NE. Was up in the air for 5 minutes and came back down. I'm a little disturbed by that. I don't want a show, I want them to SEE the destruction. Not just what the flood waters have left behind but what losses the western part of state has endured from all that snow also. Ranchers have been hit hard.

Today I traveled east and we talked about what this has done to our fields. Top soil, gone. Years of inputs, years of work. Washed away. There are so many wash outs now, farmers will have to move a lot of ground to farm this year.

NEFarmwife said:
greybeard said:

Nebraska Underwater

Yes, all that water is going somewhere and it's not looking good for those southeast of us.

Pence went visited a short while ago in eastern NE. Was up in the air for 5 minutes and came back down. I'm a little disturbed by that. I don't want a show, I want them to SEE the destruction. Not just what the flood waters have left behind but what losses the western part of state has endured from all that snow also. Ranchers have been hit hard.

Today I traveled east and we talked about what this has done to our fields. Top soil, gone. Years of inputs, years of work. Washed away. There are so many wash outs now, farmers will have to move a lot of ground to farm this year.
I'm very sorry for the troubles. It's not what you want to here but everyone but those affected with move on and forgot about it in a month or so. It's heartbreaking to have to see the destruction day after day month after month all you can depend on is your community and your personal desire to overcome.

NEFarmwife said:
greybeard said:

Nebraska Underwater

I think what you want them (and all of us) to do is feel the destruction. It's difficult to project that kind of heartbreak on to anyone that isn't day to day involved. I hate seeing floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, drought and blizzards, but they're all part of life and more so in farming and ranching.
How do you 'make' someone 'feel' that kind and level of misery? I don't know.

greybeard said:
NEFarmwife said:
greybeard said:

Nebraska Underwater

I think what you want them (and all of us) to do is feel the destruction. It's difficult to project that kind of heartbreak on to anyone that isn't day to day involved. I hate seeing floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, drought and blizzards, but they're all part of life and more so in farming and ranching.
How do you 'make' someone 'feel' that kind and level of misery? I don't know.

Exactly. I have seen these things on TV. I've seen the news coverage and imagined the horror. But it's so very different when you're in it. When the roar and the speed of the rushing water makes you sick. Literally. I couldn't tell if I was getting motion sick or just overcome with emotion but I nearly threw up.

I am so grateful and thankful for most of what we have being spared. Today's challenges, while a pain in my rear... were minimal compared to others.